General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Dec-18 22:44:49
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
Pretty good value!

Until they can't do it anymore - but time will tell.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Dec-18 00:56:27
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

What do you mean by ďcanít do it any more thoughí. The deal ceased about 11am Tuesday. Itís not a product on ongoing sale.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 06-Dec-18 01:57:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think it was in regards to overuse of their network and Three having to stop their unlimited tariff. Though, it has been going through my head as well. Can't help but feel it's some sort of ploy on their part to get as many customers as possible to then change the contract in the coming months to a capped amount of data (100gb for example). Some may cancel their contract, but lazy people like myself would deal with it if it meant not having to call them.

That's my crazy conspiracy out the way for this year laugh

Highly doubt it though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Dec-18 10:32:37
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

What did they do about the previous Unlimited one?

Did they cap it or what? Did it have an FUP/AUP that they invoked? As far as I can see this one hasnít

Anyway, as Iíve said a few times, either here or elsewhere, this is a calculated risk by me. Partly based on the fact it was a limited time offer so the take up, though no doubt high, was still not going to build and build and build.

It will no doubt have attracted some guzzlers, but possibly thousands of non-guzzlers such as myself. Even if the find a legal way to restrict some people, I wonít be one. Donít forget that these days Ofcom has banned FUPs and FUPs that limit ďunlimitedĒ within the UK. Not just for landline broadband.

Have a look at Ofcomís investigation into Three that CJ8 linked to earlier. Also:-
Unlimited data gives you worry free internet use. Even if you used your phone for every minute of every day you could only use, subject to TrafficSenseô, around 1000GB each month. We may use this cap to identify inappropriate use of the service, such as commercial use, which isn't permitted under our terms and conditions.
Thereís a quote somewhere from the CEO about this, Iíll post it later if I remember and find it smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Dec-18 10:46:31
Print Post

And of course this sort of thing could happen:- Oh-Ďeck!

But it can also happen on xDSL.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Dec-18 13:05:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What did they do about the previous Unlimited one?

Did they cap it or what? Did it have an FUP/AUP that they invoked? As far as I can see this one hasnít

I agree there is a £32 tariff but this must be at the right price for them. Back when the OnePlan was about it was £25 full price but was various for customers on deals. Anyway 4 people did TB's on it and Three forced everyone off unlimited - it was a case of leave without penalty OR be swapped to a plan - but everyone, including me got kicked off it. My average back then was 20-30GB a month.

The 4 people used so much that Three took them to court and they were forced to settle for their usage - it's about on the internet somewhere, I will have to find it.

I hope it does not happen again - and whether the usage be legal or otherwise - using a mobile as a dedicated internet connection must put a strain on. We all hope Three have moved with the times and learned to deal with such high demand. They can't be accused of switch and bait as they do let you go if things change to the contract.

I guess time will tell. if in 6 months time it's still going and no one has been removed or told off then it will be worth another look.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Dec-18 13:07:00
Print Post

Yes the 1000GB cap is something three have always had in their gumph - and many like me struggled to use fraction of that - but as I said I wait and see what happens, in the hope nothing does.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 06-Dec-18 15:05:34
Print Post

Interesting read! Pretty much what Prince said. Three has done it in the past, nothing stopping them doing it again. I choose to believe they have learned their lesson, but you never know with these things. Even if they should put a cap or scrap unlimited data, with your minimal data usage, should not be a problem for you. It's the heavy hitters that need to be on their toes.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Dec-18 16:07:45
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Quite, but don't forget that Ofcom have stamped hard on all providers re the meaning of unlimited, and Three in particular on mobiles.

Three seem to have understood. I expect most people who joined on this short-lived offer will have gone for it for the unlimited mins and price, and not having to watch their data usage even though they don't use a lot.

There's no way they could have this as a permanent offering at this point in time.

I'm happily reading, posting and web browsing in a central Manchester Pizza Express without even needing to think about WiFi passwords, security or whatever.

Though of course any unencrypted stuff is insecure. I reckon I 'm less likely to be spied on than a PE wifi smile.

(Now someone will explain how wrong I am.)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 06-Dec-18 16:25:04
Print Post

Lol, sounds about right to me. Can never trust public wi-fi so you won't have any resistance from me. Though, i do agree with all your points. I've had to sort out a few families and friends phones and apps as they had no idea what was guzzling up all their data, whether it be apps uploading photos and videos to cloud storage from auto updates in google play store. I see a lot of people jumping to the way you described in your post. Not having to worry about data usage.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to