General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Dec-18 13:11:40
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

As I said, there is no WAN IP address available in the router admin pages when USB tethered to the phone.

I've also said that the phone IP address reported by tbb, which is dynamic, is not the same as the IP address reported by all the other three devices. Laptop and iPad by wifi, second laptop by ethernet, all to the tethered router or all connected by wifi to the phone in stand-alone wifi hotspot mode.

The phone does not support being simultaneously tethered and a hotspot.

The actual values of the two IP addresses tbb sees is surely irrelevant? Both are Three-owned.

Edit: Also the common IP address of the attached devices is dynamic. Their LAN address are 120.168.1.nnn subnet and the router when in use is their gateway on 192.168.1.254.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 09-Dec-18 13:17:09)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-18 14:23:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Okay so there is a limitation in the ASUS router, or in the tethering phone that it can't report the IP the phone is providing, annoying for diagnostics.

Let me see if I can restate what you are asking. You're using three devices, some on WiFi some on Ethernet, connected through an ASUS router which is using the tethered phone as its internet connection. When you visit TBB's show IP page (or alternatives) the IP displayed when using the three devices is different, and you are asking why.

If this is what you are asking, then I would say this is a good indication of CGNAT in use.

Each of your devices is causing another "session" through Three to the internet, which is being allocated a public IPv4 for the session. (ie, that use of a browser).

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Dec-18 15:05:06
Print Post

Not quite.

The three devices simultaneously have the same IP address, but that is different from the phone's IP address. I can still use the phone when it is either tethered or a hotspot. Hence I can use tbb's "What is my IP" tool for that as well.

However the router is normally not used. I have only been using it to test for the purposes of establishing this. Normally the phone is either in my pocket or on the table being charged up.

There are only ever two IP addresses in total. The phone's, and any attached devices'.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-18 15:10:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There are only ever two IP addresses in total. The phone's, and any attached devices'.

Ok that's easy to explain.

The phone makes two separate connections to Three, over the cellular network. One is used for all data access originating from the phone itself, the other is used for data access from connected devices.

You may find this is configurable in the phone settings, there may be a setting or a field for an APN for "tethering", if its blank that just means the same one is used twice.

This would easily allow for three to have unlimited on handset, and 30gb for 'tethering' for example.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Dec-18 15:24:40
Print Post

There is no limit on tethering. And I still don't know the answer to the question.

The phone is showing two APN's at the moment, as a wifi hotspot. One is three.co.uk, the other - which is selected on a radio button - is 3ireland.ie smile.

Edit: Turning off Hotspot does not alter that.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 09-Dec-18 15:28:59)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-18 15:37:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There is no limit on tethering. And I still don't know the answer to the question.

I thought I answered your question? The phone is making TWO connections to the Three cellular network:

1) For use by the phone itself for data services, notifications, Google Play, the phone browser.
2) For use by anything tethered (this includes hotspot OR the USB connection)

Each of these is being allocated a public IP which may or may not be CGNAT'd.

The phone is showing two APN's at the moment, as a wifi hotspot.

I think what you have found is the option to switch APN, not the diagnostics that shows what is currently in use. This requires an "engineering screen" and is not part of standard Android. That is quite specific to the handset.

As you've found doing IP network diagnostics on a cellular device is almost impossible. There is no standard Android way of doing this. You might find if you install the Terminal from the Play store, you can do "ifconfig" but this depends on the vendor.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 09-Dec-18 15:39:12)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Dec-18 15:46:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I think what you have found is the option to switch APN, not the diagnostics that shows what is currently in use. This requires an "engineering screen" and is not part of standard Android. That is quite specific to the handset.
Link?

My two are definitely selectable by the radio button. The ie one is selected and the contents editable. The other, when I select it, basically has all settings "Not set" and is not editable.

In fact below them is another for MMS, also on 3ireland.ie and editable. Slightly different current settings of course.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 09-Dec-18 16:24:52)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-18 16:31:26
Print Post

Your link is how to change the setting for an APN, not to show what is being used as there are ways for the network to override what is set in the OS.

Even if only one APN is configured for data, does not preclude it being used twice. Giving two sessions and two IP addresses.

Many Android devices come with databases of APNs, that look at the network code of the SIM and set the right APN automatically. This works 99% of the time. However when it fails you need to have a user interface to change which is what you have found. It is quite possible that Three Ireland (being also owned by CK Hutchison Holdings)'s settings work on Three UK, which would make it easier for travel between Eire & NI.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Dec-18 16:44:40
Print Post

smile
That makes sense.

Thanks.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-18 16:47:25
Print Post

No worries, cellular is a bit easier to see what is going on with a PCI card in a laptop/desktop than on a phone or dongle!

Pages in this thread: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to