General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Dec-18 14:28:09
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Let's hope three have a better service than VM eh lol - typically on my 15th day with Virgin Mobile and there is a [censored] outage! - wouldn't use this as my main internet now.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Dec-18 20:31:32
Print Post

Just upgraded my handset and taken this deal on a 2nd sim for work

used 250gb so far and with full 4G+ coverage the speeds are fantastic

but the only odd thing, on the speed test it shows about 25-30mbps but when i download i get roughly 90mbps
smile

pic related

http://epvpimg.com/z9jReab

Edited by epyon (Mon 10-Dec-18 20:38:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Dec-18 23:32:13
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Which speed test are you running?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 00:05:47
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Just my two cents, I have spent the best part of two weeks using the 3 unlimited SIM and I cancelled for the following reasons:

1. In London speeds are erratic with many areas no data throughput what-so-ever even on bands that are not 20.
2. Busy areas have had no data throughput at rush hour several times - Canary Wharf, London Bridge, Victoria Train station.
3. Shopping centres including Westfield Shepherds Bush, when busy network 3 kept kicking me onto 3G, despite 4G on band 1, 3 and 20 available.
4. Band 20 gets swamped indoors. With EE and O2 when you land on Band 20 you get 3+Mbps... Whenever I had it on 3, data almost stopped or did entirely.
5. I hate the preference where 3G is set over Band 20 LTE... Despite having 4 bars of LTE on band 20 in my office, the phone kept dropping to 1 bar 3G and calls would cut in and out, and drop.
6. No visual voicemail - it was news to me that only o2 and EE offer that.
7. Calls often make this weird sort of robotic, mashed up jumble, almost alien sound and I had to redial... Not sure if this is common but my colleague mentioned they experience it also on 3:
Found the noise on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5jxG0NTfnE
8. Customer service was absolutely awful, it took 9 days to get my PAC code. I had to quote Ofcom and write to CEO office.
9. Whilst driving around London, I would often have 1 bar of 4G and 1 bar of 3G, calls would struggle as I drove around.

My main issue for leaving however was the data being virtually unusable and being on 3G for long periods of time.

Back to EE for me! smile

For the record, I am very heavy use - 15GB+ often as much as 30GB. I will often tether to my phone in and around London also. I take WebEx, Skype, Zoom calls on my data for hours on end (both in office, driving, and at home), I use whatsapp / facetime audio often on the go. I will often stream the radio via my phone to the car as it gets better reception. For my use case Network 3 is practically impossible, I couldn't get through a single call on webex etc.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 11-Dec-18 00:34:55)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 11-Dec-18 00:18:30
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

That sounds like a nightmare alright. I don't think i would pick Three as a carrier if i was to ever move to a populated area, especially London. When i do travel, i will do the odd speed test, you'd expect decent speeds in cities, large towns or even large villages to be good but i have not had that experience with Three. I only ever get good speeds in rural settings, country side, small villages, towns etc.. That shouldn't be the case, but with their unlimited data for a cheap price their network is hit hard in the city. You made the right choice though. EE sounds like your best bet in London. And i'd put my money on EE having unlimited data within the next couple of years.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Dec-18 01:06:29
Print Post

Wifiman
Speed.net
TBB
DSLreports

all give about 20-30mbps.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Dec-18 02:12:42
Print Post

Thatís weird then.

AIUI tbb test now has more than the stated 6 streams, Andrew told us the number a week or so ago. But perhaps your download server is supplying a huge number.

Or you had a mast to yourself when it happened wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Dec-18 06:18:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by epyon:
Wifiman
Speed.net
TBB
DSLreports

all give about 20-30mbps.

Many of those (apart from tbb) are US hosted, and its unclear if they have UK mirrors.

If in a browser, try them in Private Browsing / Igcognito mode.

Also try http://fast.com and the old Speedtest.net app !

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Dec-18 09:22:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Still a little bit generous.

https://i.postimg.cc/xTgLHNZZ/Screenshot-2018-12-11-...

So might give better than actual like it is there
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 11-Dec-18 12:37:21
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

I was doing some basic testing last night as I am just not getting good speed from the router with the 3 data sim in it, thats sat in my study.
I shoved the sim in my phone and started walking around the house testing various areas, I then moved outside - wow what a difference just going outside made, I was getting 75+ Mbps just stepping outside my back door, step back inside and it dropped to about 10Mbps, its amazing what a few bricks will do in the way of the signal - I 100% need to organise an external ariel, trouble is best place outside through testing was the otherside of the house.
Well thats my Xmas project sorted out!!
Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to