General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 11-Dec-18 12:37:21
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

I was doing some basic testing last night as I am just not getting good speed from the router with the 3 data sim in it, thats sat in my study.
I shoved the sim in my phone and started walking around the house testing various areas, I then moved outside - wow what a difference just going outside made, I was getting 75+ Mbps just stepping outside my back door, step back inside and it dropped to about 10Mbps, its amazing what a few bricks will do in the way of the signal - I 100% need to organise an external ariel, trouble is best place outside through testing was the otherside of the house.
Well thats my Xmas project sorted out!!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Dec-18 12:57:15
Print Post

Have you tried the phone, or router, on the window ledge? That is the best place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 11-Dec-18 13:06:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oh yes, tried everything in the study to improve things.
Now that I see what speed i can get, I have no option but to run a cable.
Im going to try one of the MikroTik SXT LTE kits as that houses the modem/router itself, so there wont be any signal loss over a long cable, its poe also so I just need to run a external grade lan cable, which ive done before around the back of the house - this one will have to go along the front.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Dec-18 18:05:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

They do have uk mirrors

they work fine for my home connection also

its just three

not like it matters i see what my real speed is when i download.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Dec-18 19:15:32
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
not like it matters i see what my real speed is when i download.

Could easily be TrafficSense noticing it is a speed test site and slowing it down, to ensure performance is there for real use, such as downloads.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Dec-18 23:16:35
Print Post

They won't do that for speedtest.net or dsl reports so maybe try that too?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Dec-18 01:02:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
I was doing some basic testing last night as I am just not getting good speed from the router with the 3 data sim in it, thats sat in my study.
I shoved the sim in my phone and started walking around the house testing various areas, I then moved outside - wow what a difference just going outside made, I was getting 75+ Mbps just stepping outside my back door, step back inside and it dropped to about 10Mbps, its amazing what a few bricks will do in the way of the signal - I 100% need to organise an external ariel, trouble is best place outside through testing was the otherside of the house.
Well thats my Xmas project sorted out!!
I wonder if you are dropping to another band by going inside e.g. with 3 I was dropping to band 20 in most large buildings, or 3G.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Dec-18 06:22:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I wonder if you are dropping to another band by going inside e.g. with 3 I was dropping to band 20 in most large buildings, or 3G.
A lot of newer build properties have extensive foil backed insulation in the wall cavity space. This blocks cellular signals very well.

An option is to try is the phone in a window.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User Biglee5555
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-18 20:34:00
Print Post

Thanks for this I have adsl at 3mb, I also use three 100gig a month mifi. I only use the adsl for the kids mainly as 100gig is not enough. Iím just out of my mifi contract, so this will save me about £35 pound a month.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Wed 12-Dec-18 20:35:57
Print Post

[re: Biglee5555] [link to this post]

3 Mb ADSL with kids! Bet that's interesting! tongue

William Grimsley.
Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to