General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User onthenet
(member) Sat 15-Dec-18 16:49:06
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: Biglee5555] [link to this post]

The Poynting is really only to allow you to get the antennae outside and hopefully a better signal. I had to go round the house a bit to find the best place outside, even though I have line of sight of the tower.

The drop in the cable, due to it's length, just about balances out the gain of the antennae so if the antennae is in a similar position to the router you will end up with about the same speed but the connection should be more stable.

That's where the Microtek solution should be good although it seems to be limited to 100Mbps download and as I am at that speed already probably no advantage in my case.

Three 4G 100/30 Mbps
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Dec-18 20:23:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Broadband cease to take place tomorrow.

Wow, I've just caught up with this having seen some of your recent posts. I am shocked! But then I've just done a speed test on my phone using Three 4G in my house and it came out at 49.7/14.7. Hmm...

Edit: just tested again and got 60.5/21.9! Ping 39ms though, not quite the 10ms I get on FTTC.
Further edit: Also, much faster than I get through wi-fi on my phone. You are tempting me...

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Mon 17-Dec-18 20:32:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Dec-18 00:47:47
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Old fogeys/silver surfers aren't always behind the curve wink smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Dec-18 00:48:15
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I'm convinced I did the right thing, but I'm also prepared for major slowdowns at obvious times like iOS releases and major events that will be streamed by lots of people. The money saved is worth it. I'm running currently on £25 savings per month, and when I drop the landline it will go up to £39pm.

Increased latency can be seen occasionally in real use, showing as around 57ms during tbb speed tests, but even on AAISP FTTC my connection would swap at intervals of a month or two between a base of 15Ms and 22ms.

These forums were tending to hang recently on FTTC anyway. Now a little worse but nothing particularly annoying.

It wouldn't be any good for gaming I suppose, but I don't do that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 18-Dec-18 00:49:13)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Dec-18 14:19:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm convinced I did the right thing, but I'm also prepared for major slowdowns at obvious times like iOS releases and major events that will be streamed by lots of people. The money saved is worth it. I'm running currently on £25 savings per month, and when I drop the landline it will go up to £39pm.

Increased latency can be seen occasionally in real use, showing as around 57ms during tbb speed tests, but even on AAISP FTTC my connection would swap at intervals of a month or two between a base of 15Ms and 22ms.

These forums were tending to hang recently on FTTC anyway. Now a little worse but nothing particularly annoying.

It wouldn't be any good for gaming I suppose, but I don't do that.

Agreed it is tempting I am also considering going mobile only - but wouldn't be with Virgin as I would be chopping the cable too so wouldn't be eligible for unlimited. - so It would be Three and even at £27 that's still a big saving over £70 paid now.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Dec-18 14:27:10
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

There was a post in this thread I think that said you could go for a £16nn one the upgrade very soon after to the £27 ul/ul/ul at £19 as a current customer. (Retention deal?). I can't verify that, but it would be worth your while to check through the T & Cs, particularly wrt how long you have to change your mind on any Three mobile contract.

IIRC it's fine as long as the goods are still saleable, but in the case of a SIM costing them pennies, if that, that has to mean you can just walk away. They'd never want a SIM back to clear it of any info of yours and assign a new number.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Dec-18 15:09:21
Print Post

Thanks for the tip - I had a look an a thread on UKHD says the same - If I could't get it I would be happy to pay the £27 - I know the cell where I am moving to is under used - yesterday I was hitting over 100 on 4G when visiting my folks
Standard User Biglee5555
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-18 16:25:25
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

The mikrotik come today I dont see any speed increase from the mifi modem, Iím already on band 3 even though it shows this as being at 15mhz in winbox.
I need to have a play with it to be honest none of the signal bars on the back light up either, but Iím not sure if they are supposed to yet.
Standard User Biglee5555
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-18 18:07:02
Print Post

Quick update I canít get it to go above three bars no matter where I place it in my house or outside, Iíve had it on a line prop above the house still doesnít make a difference in speed. Iíll try again tomorrow before I send it back. Shame really but I canít complain going from 3mb ish to 30-40.
The sad things is I live next to a field I can see the mast thereís only one house on the next estate in the way, Iím probably 500 yards away.

Edited by Biglee5555 (Tue 18-Dec-18 18:39:52)

Standard User mking90031
(learned) Tue 18-Dec-18 18:56:11
Print Post

Hi,

Are you sure it's a 3 mast you're seeing? Could be any other company.....Just my 2 cents worth.....

Yours,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 330Mb/sec Down & 20Mb/sec Up
Pages in this thread: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to