General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Nov-18 03:56:03
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Re yourself and prince, the thing is that even if I take the risk of congestion and cease the AAISP FTTC, I shouldn't have much problem getting it back, so long as I don't cease the Pulse8 line. I can accept keeping the line for a while and still save money.

If I decide it isn't up to par on 4G then I have spent £240 for the minimum 12 months, but given the unlimited data who knows what else I might do with it on my main phone, not that spare, and ditch EE?

Several interacting variables there! smile

Well, you have 14 days to return it - so that should give you a good indication of speeds from your local cell. I agree it would save a fortune, IIRC you pay about £35 to AA for 200 or 300GB ?

At east you have basic def Netflix on Go Binge - kinda pointless with unlimited data but still, it's a nice thing to have anyway if you ask me.

I am going to see how VM goes with the 200GB - and try to get my head around the rollover - if it all goes wrong- or I need more it's £5 extra due to having the cable line. Speed wise around here it's good - getting 69mbps and about 30 up - on the EE phone I am getting just shy of 281mbps down. (screenshot taken also)

But I Just don't see the point anymore of being directly with EE - it's just expensive compared to some of Three and VM's mainstream non special offers. As I think I previously said. I've gone from £85.04 to £20 overnight.

woodmass, agreed re rural masts - the one where I used to live is heavily under-utilised - I used to use it a lot and get max speeds - this was on the OnePlan and vs 21mbps FTTC. Someone has to keep them in use so they stay in commission smile

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 29-Nov-18 04:00:57)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Nov-18 03:57:47
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
That's when we start to get in their grey area. I believe it's possible (from what i've read online) i believe it's against their ToS but people have been doing it for years without issue. Is it right? Probably not, especially when you're in a heavy populated area but i'm sure if they didn't want people doing it then they would do something about it. I'm guilt free though smile 5mbps does that to you. Specially with kids in the house. But i'll be sure to let you know when the router gets here.

I planned to use my old Galaxy note 4 but the max speed i could get via that was 5mbps, but on my s7 edge i get the speeds i stated in my previous post. Definitely something to do with the 4g bands the phone supports. Maybe it's the device you are using, ukhardy07?

I don't see us using more than 150gb a month. I'll still be limiting the quality of the videos that's viewed. All i've ever wanted is a smooth experience using the internet, can't really do that with a kid on youtube and another on Netlfix.

Again you will have basic def Netflix on go binge anyway - as for the rules, I don't think 3 really care - for all the hoo ha about the OnePlan and abuse - they never stopped to even look at the people doing AYCE on the PAYG plans - I am guilty, I was one of them who used the £25 add on but raped it via tethering back in the day.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Nov-18 04:00:06
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Of course, you could do it that way. Best to keep that failsafe in place should congestion become a problem or you start finding it unreliable. Certainly a handy sim to carry around if you travel a lot or as a backup if your net [censored] up.

But Three are very good when it comes to support, or have been for me at least. If you tell them your not satisfied with the speeds they'll most likely cancel your contract charge free.

No they won't I had this argument with them in the past - best advice is give it a go and use the 14 days if needed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 29-Nov-18 11:51:59
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I must have been lucky then. As long as you're persistent and there is actually a problem then you should be good.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:25:25
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Well, you have 14 days to return it

Does that apply to both online and over the phone sales? Because according to a Three sales agent, they only offer the 14 day cooling off period if the sim card is bought via telesales, not for online orders. Quidco & topcashback are offering £70 on this Three plan so it potentially works out at less than £15 p/m for an unlimited calls/texts/data sim only plan. The cheapest EE (my current provider) offered me was £20 p/m for a 100Gig sim only plan. Not bad but obviously not as good as Three's offer. However I imagine all the freeloaders will be licking their lips at Threes offer which increases the risk of network congestion on Three. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Netgear XR700 running DumaOS
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:52:31
Print Post

The SIM arrived today and is working fine in the Sony Z3. Showing only 1 bar on 4G but OK speed tests on my laptop tethered to it in various situations. Generally similar to this one.

I can give some of the others later if anyone's interested, like a freak 48Mbps and a total weirdie.

BBC website responding quickly, and this one. I'm out tonight though.

It looks like this is definitely a runner. It's helpful having decent FTTC and loads of VM cable around of course, despite the mast being some way away. See how it goes for a few days, maybe even over Christmas, before I decide about the FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Nov-18 17:59:23
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Well, you have 14 days to return it

Does that apply to both online and over the phone sales? Because according to a Three sales agent, they only offer the 14 day cooling off period if the sim card is bought via telesales, not for online orders. Quidco & topcashback are offering £70 on this Three plan so it potentially works out at less than £15 p/m for an unlimited calls/texts/data sim only plan. The cheapest EE (my current provider) offered me was £20 p/m for a 100Gig sim only plan. Not bad but obviously not as good as Three's offer. However I imagine all the freeloaders will be licking their lips at Threes offer which increases the risk of network congestion on Three. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Hey mate smile

I have no idea on 3 - I can only go off the stuff that came through on e-mail when I got the Virgin Media offer.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Nov-18 18:01:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The SIM arrived today and is working fine in the Sony Z3. Showing only 1 bar on 4G but OK speed tests on my laptop tethered to it in various situations. Generally similar to this one.

I can give some of the others later if anyone's interested, like a freak 48Mbps and a total weirdie.

BBC website responding quickly, and this one. I'm out tonight though.

It looks like this is definitely a runner. It's helpful having decent FTTC and loads of VM cable around of course, despite the mast being some way away. See how it goes for a few days, maybe even over Christmas, before I decide about the FTTC.

Glad to hear it's running well - and long live Three's second attempt at unlimited data. If the mast is not overloaded you could have a decent service for a long time to come - the one I used to live under still gives crazy speeds. people either would prefer to have 15-20mbps FTTC or have forgotten it's there. Either way a win win for the mobile user.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Nov-18 20:09:06
Print Post

Glad to hear it is working well. I was in Westfield Shopping Center in Shepherds bush today and had 3G most of the shopping centre and no data what-so-ever. In Canary Wharf the data appears to barely load a page also...

I am currently at home, I was getting 4G with the speedtests of sub-1Mbps, now I am stuck on 1 bar 3G with no data throughput what-so-ever.

My key issue with this 3 SIM, it seems to push me over to 3G quite often, and then back to 4G 15 minutes later (despite phone not moving).

My PAC has already started to transfer, so will keep playing as I cannot do anything until Monday anyway.

Overall not terrible, I've had a few 30+Mbps speedtests.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Nov-18 20:31:03
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Glad to hear it is working well. I was in Westfield Shopping Center in Shepherds bush today and had 3G most of the shopping centre and no data what-so-ever. In Canary Wharf the data appears to barely load a page also...

Some recent London testing from some (very technical) students:
https://twitter.com/PedroClarke1/status/106734999218...

Lots of discussion on Digital Spy's mobile forum too.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to