General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | [21] | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Dec-18 13:10:00
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes but you will make his fuzzy little head explode - he's not got the concept of manners yet - one step at a time for the poor creature :/
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 24-Dec-18 15:44:11
Print Post

I think if you dont use anything latency sensitive, and congestion is not bad enough to affect services then it is a good decision, I am guessing you dont game so occasional short bursts of connectivity issues probably isnt going to affect you.

As an example I have observed netflix throughput on my sky connection regularly dips to about 30-45mbit/sec on my line on sundays, but only about 15mbit/sec is needed for their highest bitrate, and I am not even using that, so my netflix experience is unaffected, kinda odd tho as the servers loading the content are within sky's network and the line itself still hits full speed fine on single threaded load's on youtube, tbb etc. So it seems netflix/sky need to add more servers inside sky for the sky customer base at some point but is an example of congestion that is not service affecting.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 24-Dec-18 15:45:28)

Standard User mooret1972
(newbie) Mon 24-Dec-18 18:39:20
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
In reply to a post by mooret1972:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
SO what's everyones usage so far? and any problems?

Averaging 10Mbps symmetrical at the moment, which is streets ahead of the 1.6Mbps I get on ADSL
Usage over the last 14 days is ~55GB

Using a Huawei E5577Cs connected to a Draytek 2860 over wifi for WAN2
Planning to get an external antenna for it in the new year and hopefully eke out a bit more performance.

The biggest problem has been shaping my network to keep the kids on the ADSL connection with 4G serving mine and SWMBO's devices plus the TV/Chromecast etc for catchup.

I know you've spent loads of money on your kit there, but if in the future you are flush and bored and fancy a change I recommend building a Untangle box with multiple WAN connections, Ive used Drayteks for years, ive had about 6 or so over the years but I must say the way Untangle works especially the WAN balancer with my 3 WAN connections is superb. The main thing I like about Untangle is that it doesnt care what IP address devices have, so no need to worry about fixed IP's, and the best bit is you can "Tag" devices with....er... tags, so you could tag all kids devices and then use those tags in the wan balancer to send them all to the adsl connection. You could also then use the tags in the Bandwidth Control, to slow down their youtube, but not yours or indeed block any app. It has the full arsenal of protection systems also. The home license costs about the same as the Draytek Globalview license but you get more protection. If you are used to setting up Drayteks, you will have no problem with Untangle.

TBF I've spent about 60 quid... the router is a loaner from work..

If I had the room to rig up a multiwan firewall/gateway I would probably use OPNSense and create VLANs for each of the kids, BUT everything here is wireless with the exception of pihole so the draytek gives the best bang/buck and takes up the least space

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Dec-18 00:10:45
Print Post

I've just had 100Gb roll over - so not quite unlimited 300GB for the month ain't half bad - not as good as three but still - 300GB is pretty much unlimited to me.

In other news - my neighbour got the Three deal too - and is having really bad speeds :/
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 25-Dec-18 00:17:56
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

But did they do any cheap research first? I did lots, as you know, with just a single £1 + £10 topup from a papershop.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Dec-18 01:20:06
Print Post

That is the luck of the draw

my speeds are completely just different from being in a different room

kitchen = 70mbps
living room = 30mbps

so i just leave my phone in the kitchen with the wifi bridged to my router then push the wifi from that.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Dec-18 11:51:02
Print Post

No, which I find odd as they did research the cancel and return policy.. go figure.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Dec-18 15:02:07
Print Post

I've just emailed Pulse8 requesting line termination at the end of January 2019. Might as well let the 1 Jan d/d go through, and give me time to let everybody who needs to know that it will stop working.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Dec-18 23:58:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I've just emailed Pulse8 requesting line termination at the end of January 2019. Might as well let the 1 Jan d/d go through, and give me time to let everybody who needs to know that it will stop working.

Sounds like a plan - and good to see the sim working out - as well as the pennies saved smile

Makes no sense having a landline anymore - it's sad but true
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Dec-18 00:25:59
Print Post

I've had the same number at the same address for 45 years!

Pages in this thread: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | [21] | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to