General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | [24] | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Jan-19 11:40:28
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Wasn't there a ruling that said you could only sell something as unlimited if it truly was. Traffic shaping after a limit was reached I thought was now banned?
Yes, by the ASA. But I'm not sure it applied to simply speed-limiting, as opposed to virtually or completely stopping the service. 2Mbps is still a lot more than many get on xDSL. It seems this Three restriction, from its wording, may not be an automatic and inevitable speed limit anyway. It may be the pattern of usage is also monitored. We haven't seen the poster's warning text either.

Three have tried to cover themselves anyway in respect of the ASA, by specifying that such volumes would look like commercial work on a non-business contract.

From his post anyway it looks like he was just wanting to know what would happen if he cracked 1TB.

We don't know by how much he exceeded it either. He may have kept going even after the speed restriction. In fact it is clear that he did.

It's a shame he didn't just ignore or accept my comment about that being daft, instead of trying to justify it. I hope he won't regularly be doing this. He did say it was just to find out what happened.

I don't see much point in arguing the permissibility of it or not with the poster. I doubt if many will be hitting that figure regularly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Jan-19 11:41:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

They didn't stop him using more data though smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jan-19 12:08:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't get how someone can use that much - even when used as dedicated I can't burn through my 300GB a month that I now get on VM (now I have got 100GB rolling over every month)

Just insane!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Tue 08-Jan-19 14:46:07
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Personally as a Three Unlimited customer I was pleased to see people using so much data get throttled to make it a fairer experience for folks that don't like to "abuse" things.
They might just have learned from last time they had a cheap "unlimited" deal and it got battered by heavy users making it a poor experience for less data hungry users.
I think if I used 1TB+ on my 4g then I would expect some throttling and feel restricting me to 2Mb/s would be deserved lol My mates on O2 would be glad of that bandwidth!
I'm a grumpy old man too and remember the warm glow when my NTL connection went to 1Mb/s from 512k, I was going to take over the world!!
I do admire and think your mad at the same time using it as a home broadband connection, I still have my VM Home BB connection as my main connection.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jan-19 15:42:42
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

Thanks for the laughs. I personally don't use it for a landline. I have Virgin cable and a FTTC backup for work. I also am on Virgin Mobile - I don't have unlimited and I don't plan to anytime soon (it's on offer but not interested)

I recall last time the AYCE plan was more than this time - even after Black Friday deals. So will be interesting to see how long this lasts - Hopefully forever for the non abusers. But the mentality of " I can so I will" does bother me - My connection runs full speed all the time - my average is 4TB a month according to VM most of that is Sky UHD and streaming services. My maths is rubbish but I can do 2.5GB a minute so 150GB an hour - so over 24 hours 3.6TB!? 1.8PB a month based on 30 days?

But why would I want to do that? can't think of much to download!

But if I had lots to download and I was on my own connection of the same speed, I would try it for the fun of it. Wouldn't affect anyone else after all - unlike a shared service......

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 08-Jan-19 15:44:07)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Jan-19 16:33:07
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
I do admire and think your mad at the same time using it as a home broadband connection, I still have my VM Home BB connection as my main connection.
I don't know how much of the thread you have browsed, but I'm no grumpy old man despite being on my second post-70 driving licence. I have just ditched AAISP FTTC at around 68-70Mbps sync and about 12Mbps upstream, plus my landline goes at the end of the month, and my EE mobile with 1GB at £11.51pm all replaced by this £20 Three Sim.

Speeds as per my sig. Though if I wish I can easily achieve over 55Mbps by tethering my phone to my router upstairs instead of by wifi with the phone downstairs

Approx £60 pm cut out, and £20 added. Net saving £40pm.

I'm happy with that smile.

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jan-19 18:42:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My only issue right now is that on weekends I do get a fair bit of slow down

If I'm in on a Friday night I get about 15mbps max instead of the usual 70+

Not unusable or anything just a dramatic difference.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:01:40
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

That'll be my only worry, come the F1 season, as I'll be buying Now TV day passes for the race days. Along with running the timing app if the latest version is any good.

Wreck the timing app like they did on the first attempt to replace the third-party one and I might just give up and read about it in the paper on Monday.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:30:44
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

well I was more referring to levels of docsis1 congestion than the access speeds wink

on doscis1 I couldnt stream F1 at 9am in the morning due to congestion , thats 9am not 9pm. If thats how bad it was on a sunday morning, imagine it on a afternoon or evening.

docsis3 congestion at least replaced packet loss with jitter (lesser evil), and speeds sort of allowed mainstream services to just about function. I think this at least partially achieved with massive buffer bloat on docsis3, as latency on my doscis3 tbb graphs got way higher than on my docsis1 graphs but it didnt have the packet loss docsis1 had.

I think at the time I had a 10mbps service and 2mbps was needed for F1 streaming which was SD.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 08-Jan-19 19:32:41)

Standard User longer
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-19 13:12:12
Print Post

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LA7:
I got the £20 Black Friday deal with unlimited data I live in a area with strong Three signal and get good download speeds so I put the sim in my Huawei cat6 router run everything in my house off inc smart TVs BBC IPlayer UHD sky Q downloaded loads of UHD on it for about 3 weeks hammered to test what happens when you hit 1000GB it worked perfectly until I hit 1TB then I got hit with traffic management and got sent a text message then download speeds dropped to about 2mb from above 100mb and then video would struggle to stream

Nothing to worry about I have 4 3 sim all paying £11 ayce data 200minutes.

2 sim accounts been leeching over 250gb each month since November 2017 not even one word from three.
If they decide to cut me off let them be they make enough money from us each year.

Other two sim account on both my mobiles been using 50gb+ since Dec 2017

Edited by longer (Wed 09-Jan-19 13:14:38)

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | [24] | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to