General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Nov-18 21:06:59
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I am noticing inside, on EE on 800Mhz you get 5+ Mbps, with 3 it basically does not function. On other bands 3 is not too bad, but I spend most of my indoor time on Band 20.

For example at London Bridge you get 30Mbps outside on Band 3, step into the office building, enter Band 20 and the data stops.

EDIT: I suspect these tests highlighted were outdoors and not indoors on B20. Interestingly if I turn off VOLTE, then I get no service, so clearly the other bands are not able to penetrate the buildings.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 29-Nov-18 22:15:23)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Nov-18 22:34:26
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

If you're getting nothing except Band 20 then yes on both EE and Three, they only have 5 MHz each. This is quite easily overloaded. Both EE and Three would expect you to use WiFi indoors, and they invested in WiFi calling to offload the macro network in this situation.

I am guessing that your home is relatively modern or refurbished and so has metal foil insulation in the walls. This is common in newer properties, and completely blocks most mobile signals. Not much the mobile networks can do here.

If you want to use cellular as your main broadband, you will need an external antenna in this sort of property.

I understand that 5G is at much higher frequencies, so unlikely to penetrate indoors either.

Here is a 2016 picture of mobile frequency allocations:
http://i.imgur.com/wMggQna.png

Here is whom gained what in the 2018 allocation:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/2018-...

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Nov-18 23:05:26
Print Post

Cheers interesting as EE works fine everywhere I go on band 20.
Absolutely it was not blowing me away but data was coming through.

My unit is old but recently refurbed. In terms of Wi-fi calling I stopped using that due to dropped calls. At my home I actually only get band 20 outdoors too.

Anyway I have no intention to replace my home Wi-Fi, I have BT infinity 55mbps and that works well.

I will likely keep the network 3 as the unlimited data aspect is nice.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 29-Nov-18 23:06:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Nov-18 01:47:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Oh WOW!

Just after midnight I had a brainwave from nowhere.

I've just spent an hour working out how to use the phone as a USB modem into my ASUS RT-N66U upstairs, using the powered USB slot on it. In the end, trial and error worked quicker than trying to work it out from googling. Or even the downloaded ASUS manual I have upstairs.

The phone is happily "slow charging" it says but the battery reading does go up 1% now and then smile. Wired speedtest on the monitoring laptop next to the router.

If that sort of speed anywhere near holds up, that will be hunky-dory! Nothing to buy and no T & Cs quibbles as it is simple USB tethering which Three definitely allow.

Not sure if I can get the BQM working though. I've got one set up but have a feeling pings aren't getting to the phone.

Bed-time, wiv a smile!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 30-Nov-18 01:48:48)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Nov-18 06:24:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Not sure if I can get the BQM working though. I've got one set up but have a feeling pings aren't getting to the phone.

All the mobile networks use CGNAT. There was a long thread on here recently about using AAISP's L2TP tunnel service to get around this (for certain games).

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
Standard User TechServ
(newbie) Fri 30-Nov-18 10:40:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
If you're getting nothing except Band 20 then yes on both EE and Three, they only have 5 MHz each. This is quite easily overloaded....

Here is a 2016 picture of mobile frequency allocations:
http://i.imgur.com/wMggQna.png

That isnt correct nor is the image, EE have 2x5MHz blocks at 800Mhz from 2013 Auction and Three have 1x 5MHz @ 800MHz, Vodafone have 1x10Mhz @ 800MHz

EE and Three primarily use 800MHz for VoLTE not MBB as there isn't capacity, but it will depend on the UE device. On Three it is more likely to hit the threshold and switch to 3G rather than stay on 800MHz Band 20, while on EE it will be seamlessly moving from Band 20 to Band 3 if the signal is above the threshold and less likely to drop to 3G as they have more spectrum in both B20 and B3

There are specific signal thresholds which determine which band is used at any given time.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Nov-18 11:13:13
Print Post

Yes, thanks. I did follow that thread right through at the time. A neat trick smile.

No point really for my purposes which is BQM as indicator of WAN problems of some kind. I donít game. Plus even using that AAISP it would be defeated by the mast <> phone link if worrying about latency. And defeat the object of saving money!

Iíd just like it because of curiosity to see how the ping varies. I suppose I could set up a routine to ping out regularly.

Just done a ping and tracert to bbc.co.uk on the monitoring m/c. Pings 30; 31;36; 59, tracert 37-59 over 14 hops, with the first two being the router and phone, then a timeout, three on a subnet I shall check the zip range later, another timeout, four that are threembb, two weirdos to identify later, then the target IP address.

Iím really pleased with thinking of plugging the phone into the router powered USB! How healthy that will be for the phone I neither know nor really care for now.

Iím sorely tempted to drop the FTTC PDQ. Even on AA to get it back is free connection on a 6-month term. Then up my EE from 1GB to say 25GB on my main mobile rather than cancel it. That would double as standby WiFi tether and holiday/casual use for me. Monthly use on AA is under 50GB.

That EE upgrade would be less than £9 extra I think. I need to login later and check precisely. Killing the landline starts to look even more tempting as well if I do that. Save AA £35, landline £14. Add this Three and say £9. Total saving £20pm. Worth having.

Of course, if I just move the Three SIM into my main mobile and WiFi tether to that I have a total saving of £40pm.

Hmmm. Even more worth having!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. (Disabled:BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6)
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 30-Nov-18 11:15:40)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Nov-18 14:28:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Glad to hear it is working well. I was in Westfield Shopping Center in Shepherds bush today and had 3G most of the shopping centre and no data what-so-ever. In Canary Wharf the data appears to barely load a page also...

Some recent London testing from some (very technical) students:
https://twitter.com/PedroClarke1/status/106734999218...

Lots of discussion on Digital Spy's mobile forum too.

My Brother in Law is one of the top field techs at RootMetrics. I'll see if he can give me some insight on why these areas are so bad.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Nov-18 15:56:07
Print Post

[re: TechServ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TechServ:
That isnt correct nor is the image, EE have 2x5MHz blocks at 800Mhz from 2013 Auction and Three have 1x 5MHz @ 800MHz, Vodafone have 1x10Mhz @ 800MHz

I believe the diagram was showing 5mhz paired, you're describing unpaired. Since its FDD spectrum, then 5mhz transmit, and 5mhz receive is 5mhz usable. So the diagram is correct, just how you read it.

EE and Three primarily use 800MHz for VoLTE not MBB as there isn't capacity, but it will depend on the UE device. On Three it is more likely to hit the threshold and switch to 3G rather than stay on 800MHz Band 20, while on EE it will be seamlessly moving from Band 20 to Band 3 if the signal is above the threshold and less likely to drop to 3G as they have more spectrum in both B20 and B3

EE use VoLTE on ALL their frequencies. Three for some reason have only been allowing VoLTE on 800 and using 3G on 2100 fallback instead of VoLTE on 1800. However things change daily.

There are specific signal thresholds which determine which band is used at any given time.

Agreed, which can be seen with some diagnostic tools, but change and are optimised and configured by the network.

Standard User onthenet
(member) Fri 30-Nov-18 16:09:20
Print Post

Great news for me, I was on the HomeFi product so moved on to this now.

My ADSL speeds were 2Mbps but with Three I am getting 105Mbps down and 30Mbps up.

No chance of Fibre in the near future either but even if it came it probably wouldn't be as fast as this.

Speed Test Result at the moment

Plusnet ADSL
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to