General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 30-Nov-18 16:26:58
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: onthenet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by onthenet:
Great news for me, I was on the HomeFi product so moved on to this now.

My ADSL speeds were 2Mbps but with Three I am getting 105Mbps down and 30Mbps up.

No chance of Fibre in the near future either but even if it came it probably wouldn't be as fast as this.

Speed Test Result at the moment

Crikey you must have the mast in your back garden to get that speed, best I get out of three was about 25Mbps, and this week things have gone down hill to hardly 5Mbps, im trying to fgure out why its dropped so much this week.

Quick question though, my Mifi 3 sim does allow unlimited netflix and it also allows me on a good day to a UHD stream on Netflix. These mobile unlimited sims with 3 are they traffic managed to a basic stream or does it allow more throughput for Netflix?
Standard User onthenet
(member) Fri 30-Nov-18 17:11:00
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

No problem with Netflix UHD streams on this.
However I find that the UHD streams are that compressed by Netflix that the standard HD stream looks better and I tend to watch those.

Plusnet ADSL
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Nov-18 17:48:19
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
Quick question though, my Mifi 3 sim does allow unlimited netflix and it also allows me on a good day to a UHD stream on Netflix. These mobile unlimited sims with 3 are they traffic managed to a basic stream or does it allow more throughput for Netflix?
This Black Friday deal I have is a standard phone SIM, just a special price for the unlimited data. It is not a "Data SIM".

When what is basically the same product does have an allowance cap then Netflix is not counted against that allowance. Tethering is specifically allowed. No mention of using in a router. I gather they would allow it but don't say so, but I have it in a phone that is now USB-tethered to an ASUS VDSL2 router that has two USB slots and a setting to use USB tethering to, amongst other things, an Android phone.

When you configure USB to tether, it gives you a drop-down to specify the type of device you are connecting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. (Disabled:BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6)
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 30-Nov-18 17:53:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJ8
(member) Fri 30-Nov-18 19:18:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
No mention of using in a router. I gather they would allow it but don't say so
Three now allow phone sims in a router after Ofcom told them to remove the previous restrictions which contravened EU law. Confirmation here:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletin...
Standard User onthenet
(member) Fri 30-Nov-18 19:21:12
Print Post

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

Yea, should be no problem as it was the manager of the Three shop that recommended I switch to this SIM from, the HomeFi SIM and just put it in the HomeFi router.

Three 4G

Edited by onthenet (Fri 30-Nov-18 19:22:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Nov-18 20:06:34
Print Post

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

Thanks CJ8. I remember reading that a while back. It must have been lurking in my subconscious completely unconscious.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. (Disabled:BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6)
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User onthenet
(member) Fri 30-Nov-18 21:12:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Not sure if I can get the BQM working though. I've got one set up but have a feeling pings aren't getting to the phone.

All the mobile networks use CGNAT. There was a long thread on here recently about using AAISP's L2TP tunnel service to get around this (for certain games).

That's the good thing about Three, they don't use CGNAT so port forwarding works a treat.

Three 4G
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Nov-18 21:15:49
Print Post

Always did on mobile SIMs. Perhaps they donít on data SIMs ?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User onthenet
(member) Fri 30-Nov-18 21:28:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I'v been with Three for years and my phone has always had a unique public IP address.
That's why I went with them for home broadband as I needed port forwarding to work.
EE certainly use CGNAT but I don't think Three ever have.

Three 4G
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Nov-18 21:40:07
Print Post

Interesting. I was with three a few years ago and given a private IP. My friends have three data stick usb that has a public IP. Wonder whatís going on there. Could be down to the APN you use.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to