General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Dec-18 14:59:22
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

SIMs swapped over, so the Three one is now in the Huawei phone. The mast signal is far better, showing three-four bars like it did on EE, and the Sony is only showing 1, occasionally 2, with the EE SIM. So as I hoped the Huawei has better antennae. Speed tests aren't much different, but the connection stability will be dramatically better than it might have been.

At some stage I'll see what speeds I get on the ethernet-wired monitoring laptop with the Huawei plugged into the ASUS USB slot, as the signal up there is stronger than downstairs.

I obtained a PAC for my EE (O2-issued) number yesterday and submitted it an hour or so ago. With luck it will transfer tomorrow.

I shall try some Netflix streaming in a bit just to make sure that works OK, but don't anticipate any trouble.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User onthenet
(member) Sun 02-Dec-18 15:24:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Those are similar speeds I got when testing with the USB tethering on my Asus RT-AC87U router

Last year I then signed up to the HomeFi product.
I am now using the Three supplied Huawei B310 router and a Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 external Antennae, which is in the roof space and I am getting a pretty solid 100Mbps down.

I have the Huawei router, with DMZ set, connected to the WAN port of the Asus, VPN, and port forwarding are working with no issues..

Three 4G

Edited by onthenet (Sun 02-Dec-18 15:25:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Dec-18 17:45:38
Print Post

[re: onthenet] [link to this post]

Netflix cast to my non-smart TV, (Chromecast 1 HDMI dongle), perfectly well for ten minutes of The Queen's Speech, using the Huawei/Three as a WiFi hotspot,

I've now just done three speed tests Nice results in my opinion.

Phone <> ASUS powered USB port <> ethernet to Laptop running the tests. Phone on the desk.

The same setup but with the phone on the window ledge.

Completely different - Downstairs, phone set as a WiFi hotspot, in my trouser pocket where it normally lives.

I'm impressed and happy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Dec-18 22:24:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Netflix cast to my non-smart TV, (Chromecast 1 HDMI dongle), perfectly well for ten minutes of The Queen's Speech, using the Huawei/Three as a WiFi hotspot,

I've now just done three speed tests Nice results in my opinion.

Phone <> ASUS powered USB port <> ethernet to Laptop running the tests. Phone on the desk.

The same setup but with the phone on the window ledge.

Completely different - Downstairs, phone set as a WiFi hotspot, in my trouser pocket where it normally lives.

I'm impressed and happy.

I agree all looks good - I am not sure why they even bother to include any of the Go Binge in an unlimited data sim - I guess they have no way to separate them. But if it means the traffic gets sent down it's own little way - then I am all for it.

I hooked my Sky box up to my friends Three phone and used the Netflix that's included with the Ultimate on demand package - no problems so I can't see three having any problems with NF at all.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Dec-18 13:54:45
Print Post

I dunno, three dont seem to learn, they attracting all the data hoarders and last time I tried their service it made ntl docsis1 look godly.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-18 15:46:40
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I dunno, three dont seem to learn, they attracting all the data hoarders and last time I tried their service it made ntl docsis1 look godly.

My point exactly - there are plenty of reddits about this
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Mon 03-Dec-18 17:01:49
Print Post

[re: onthenet] [link to this post]

That would suggest to me you aren't hitting the top bitrate streams, as I have never seen that when UHD is streaming optimally.
Standard User onthenet
(member) Mon 03-Dec-18 17:49:15
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

Maybe it has changed, that was a year ago and the max bitrate I ever saw for UHD was 15Mbps whereas the originals on my Sony UHD player would usually be 50~75Mbps.

Maybe I'll give it another go with another free trial smile

Three 4G
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Dec-18 18:19:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

As I've said a few times, probably at least once in this thread, I'm taking a punt on this.

Tomorrow my mobile number port should take place. If that goes well, as most do, I shall pack in my FTTC. With no Cease charge.

If the Three service proves to become congested, I can restart AAISP with no connection charge. But I believe that having had their fingers burnt once Three have learned that lesson.

I'm also almost certain to ditch my Pulse8 landline once the FTTC has ceased, as it's basically only used for the broadband and four incoming callers who only use it through habit.

If I do need a line in future I can simply ask AAISP to connect their £10 line-only service along with their FTTC smile. With what will be a £40pm saving once these changes are complete I don't need it to succeed for long to have saved enough to pay for a new PSTN line.

In any case, my normal use of streaming services is restricted to F1 races when they are not on Channel 4, (though IIRC they won't be there next year), and maybe now that I have a basic Netflix service I might occasionally want to use that.

As I've had two or three months subscription to Netflix now, and only watched the series about Egyptian pyramids I doubt if I would be bothered if I found it unusable for a period when both Manchester football clubs were playing matches that were being streamed over the net at the same time as a Wimbledon final or another royal wedding or funeral Ö.

Standard User longer
(newbie) Mon 03-Dec-18 18:22:03
Print Post

Signed up to this to yesterday to replace my virgin media broadband they are charging me £35 for 70mb + line
still have 2 months contract remaining my bills went from £24/£30/£35 not even a single phone call made with my virgin media phone line.

This deal works out around £14.33 after the £70 quidco cashback after your 11 months bill go to three chat ask to be downgraded on your unlimited minutes to 600/200 for a cheaper monthly price plan.

Speeds I'm getting now is 70mb - 80mb even at peak time getting 50mb

Already on two AYCE plans one paying £13 unlimited data/hotspot/200 minutes on my iPhone X
The other plan paying £14 Unlimited data/hotspot/600 minutes on my iPhone XS Max
both sim plan using around 130gb-300gb each month since Jan 2017.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to