General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Nov-18 23:38:47
Print Post

Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everything

[link to this post]

Black Friday deal, £20. Looks like it isnít just a Friday. It was advertised in the paper on Saturday and heads the website a Home Page. I signed up on Sat night.

12-month term. Rises in line with inflation every May.

I shall try out how it performs for a few weeks, and perhaps drop the £35. AAISP. Maybe even the landline as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 24-Nov-18 23:40:53)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Nov-18 22:46:59
Print Post

Re: Iíve just signed up to Threeís SIM only unlimited everyt

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sounds like a good plan Bob, but didn't they do this before and then had to stop? Wasen't it the OnePlan? Don't get me wrong I do hope it works out but I am waiting to see real life tests like yours. It's still being offered at that price - so I am sure the take-up will be immense.

I just signed up to the same offering from Virgin - well the 200GB BF deal - upgradable to unlimited data for an extra £5 a month - but again not sure how long that is going to last - even if they decided to drop that and the promo lifetime 100GB extra - 100GB for £20 is still a deal.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 29-Nov-18 00:27:23
Print Post

I have too! Managed to get it for £13 as i have been with Three a long time. Steady speed of 60mbps down and 15mbps up. Speed is consistent throughout the day. Might invest in a 4g antenna.

Only issue is the poor latency at times. I have heard that a vpn/l2tp might help with that issue, if not, then i will go the outdoor antenna route to see if that sorts the problem out. I will try that in the coming days once the router comes through.

I just hope it's here to stay. It was nice updating everything in a couple of hours compared to the couple of days it took on my sub 5mbps ADSL service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Nov-18 01:03:49
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

I hope so too - but people abusing it got it pulled last time I hope three have a better system in place this time.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Nov-18 02:01:43
Print Post

I am currently giving it a go in north west London. Results so far (only had it since 7pm and tried in the local area):
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2968400302
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2968403590
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2968406858
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2968493231
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2968498945
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2968632269

Definitely not a home broadband replacement for me here but it loads pages fairly snappy despite the slow speed tests.

I do have a message when I check my postcode that the mast I'm connected to has a lot of traffic.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 29-Nov-18 02:04:40)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 29-Nov-18 02:41:38
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

As do i. I think i won the lottery with 3/4g though. I don't think many people use the same cell (i think that's the right wording) pointed towards me, even the mast in general. Well, not heavy users i mean.

In a very rural area with most of the surrounding villages on fttc. Think it was placed there for folks using the A74. Have always had reliable speeds with Three, don't see that changing anytime soon, unlimited data, however, at those prices, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Nov-18 02:46:30
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. Some useful stuff in them for me smile.

My SIM was estimated arrival 27 November. Still not here, but I did expect huge demand so not surprised. I may give them a ring if it isn't in today's post.

I done a few speed tbb speed tests with a Three 3-2-1 PAYG SIM in a spare 4G phone (Sony Xperia Z3) I have and getting fairly consistently around 27Mbps/9Mbps on my laptop tethered using wifi. The question will be what congestion ends up like on my mast. I'll be putting this SIM in that initially at least.

I shall probably keep my AA 70/13 sync for a couple of weeks (plus a months notice) and see how things go. Then I have a number of options.

Ditch the FTTC would be the main benefit if I find things acceptable. £35pm.

My heaviest download use would be Netflix single user if I ever get round to using it. So far in nearly three months I've watched parts of the Egyptian Pyramids a couple of times but kept falling asleep in front of the tele!

Then only three or four people ever call legitimately on my landline and I almost never ring out on it. Costs me £14pm. Two or three of the callers I can easily get to change method. The difficult one I expect I could solve by getting them to ring my mobile then ring off without me answering, then I could ring back. The old trick to avoid ppl forking out silly money to ring mobiles.

My mobile is with EE at about £10.51pm. Only 1GB but so far I haven't needed more. Out of minimum term. PAC the number across perhaps.

And from woodmass's post I seem to have answer to a question I don't want to ask Three yet. Can I put it in a wifi router? I believe I can. But if I do I rule out cancelling the EE contract and also have to buy the router. I've been keeping an eye on the two current threads about 4G routers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Nov-18 02:52:29
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Re yourself and prince, the thing is that even if I take the risk of congestion and cease the AAISP FTTC, I shouldn't have much problem getting it back, so long as I don't cease the Pulse8 line. I can accept keeping the line for a while and still save money.

If I decide it isn't up to par on 4G then I have spent £240 for the minimum 12 months, but given the unlimited data who knows what else I might do with it on my main phone, not that spare, and ditch EE?

Several interacting variables there! smile

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 29-Nov-18 03:05:44
Print Post

That's when we start to get in their grey area. I believe it's possible (from what i've read online) i believe it's against their ToS but people have been doing it for years without issue. Is it right? Probably not, especially when you're in a heavy populated area but i'm sure if they didn't want people doing it then they would do something about it. I'm guilt free though smile 5mbps does that to you. Specially with kids in the house. But i'll be sure to let you know when the router gets here.

I planned to use my old Galaxy note 4 but the max speed i could get via that was 5mbps, but on my s7 edge i get the speeds i stated in my previous post. Definitely something to do with the 4g bands the phone supports. Maybe it's the device you are using, ukhardy07?

I don't see us using more than 150gb a month. I'll still be limiting the quality of the videos that's viewed. All i've ever wanted is a smooth experience using the internet, can't really do that with a kid on youtube and another on Netlfix.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 29-Nov-18 03:14:18
Print Post

Of course, you could do it that way. Best to keep that failsafe in place should congestion become a problem or you start finding it unreliable. Certainly a handy sim to carry around if you travel a lot or as a backup if your net [censored] up.

But Three are very good when it comes to support, or have been for me at least. If you tell them your not satisfied with the speeds they'll most likely cancel your contract charge free.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to