General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jimgb17
(regular) Tue 04-Dec-18 14:49:43
Print Post

3 Unlimted 4G data sim In a Huawei E5573s ?

[link to this post]

Hi all just took out a new 4G contract with unlimited 4g/min/text got the plan on 12m contract for £15 pm.
That's a good price it was £20 black Friday deal but a family member works in a 3 shop and got the £15 deal for one year then £20.

now to my question.
i was wondering is it possible to use the sim in a Huawei E5573s or similar device? will 3 block my sim for doing this?.

Jimgb17

Edited by jimgb17 (Tue 04-Dec-18 14:56:21)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Dec-18 15:12:35
Print Post

Re: 3 Unlimted 4G data sim In a Huawei E5573s ?

[re: jimgb17] [link to this post]

Yes it is and from what others have said/and are doing - no then won't
Standard User jimgb17
(regular) Tue 04-Dec-18 15:19:10
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Thanks Bud..
Will be ordering a 4GLTE router with GSM gateway for calls soon!
Thanks again

Jimgb17

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Dec-18 15:33:00
Print Post

I have precisely this deal, at the public price of £20pm. I believe you will have no problem whatsoever.

First, the publicity for the Black Friday deal made it quite clear it could be used for tethering.

Second, see this ISPreview article of 4 October 2018. Specifically part of the quote from Ofcom:-
* already withdrawn restrictions on the use of handset SIMs in dongles and mifis.

Three has also confirmed that, from December 2018 (or earlier), it will:

* cease to restrict video quality to Standard Definition when its customers are roaming in the EU;

* remove any specific tethering or hotspot allowance for new or upgrading customers, to allow for unrestricted tethering (within the UK or EU);

* remove any requirements for customers to purchase a Data Passport to tether when roaming in the EU;

* allow customers on all Advanced Plans to tether without restriction; and

* allow customers on Essential Plans to tether on their current plan, or to migrate to the nearest equivalent Advanced Plan available at that time.
WIth both the above in mind I have tried it:

- in my phone and used directly in it;
- in my phone configured as a wifi hotspot;
- in my phone tethered by blue-tooth to my laptop;
- in my phone tethered via powered USB to my laptop and simultaneously providing a wifi hotspot for other devices;
- in my phone with the phone plugged into a powered USB slot on my ASUS RT-N66U router, with the phone acting as a modem (that also establishes the PPP session rather that the router doing so). The router then providing ethernet and wifi to my other devices.

My Three account for this (apparently phone rather than data) SIM refers to it as being inserted in my dongle. So I assume it is in fact a data SIM but just not publicly declared as such.

I've used a couple of GB since receiving the Sim.

I hope that helps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jimgb17
(regular) Tue 04-Dec-18 15:52:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ahhh didn't think about the using the phone as a modem part.smile
I have a billion 8800AXL router with the 3g/4g backup i wonder if i can use my old phone as a backup for my home office internet when at home.

Jimgb17
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Dec-18 16:51:20
Print Post

Well my number port to 3 is in mid-process. The EE connection went off at almost exactly 16:30, but the 3 connection is still showing the number the Sim came with.

Commmme onnnnnnnn! LMAO

Tomorrow if this works in a bit, (it may be slowed a little in the porting as it's an O2 number initially that was ported to EE, so I expect it is cancel that port then activate this one0 I shall be ceasing my AAISP FTTC. Then not long after that probably my landline.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 04-Dec-18 16:51:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Dec-18 17:40:01
Print Post

Harrummffff! frown.

There's me checking several times since 16:30 by leaving the phone on a bit, off a bit and repeat, and it is still showing in its status screen the number that the Sim came with.

I got fed up, and rang my landline number from it, and it worked dammit! As did ringing it from the landline. But is still shows the old number in the Status. So it was probably working at least three-quarters of an hour ago frown!

Grrrr.

But also, Grrreatttttt!

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Dec-18 17:52:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Harrummffff! frown.

There's me checking several times since 16:30 by leaving the phone on a bit, off a bit and repeat, and it is still showing in its status screen the number that the Sim came with.

I got fed up, and rang my landline number from it, and it worked dammit! As did ringing it from the landline. But is still shows the old number in the Status. So it was probably working at least three-quarters of an hour ago frown!

Grrrr.

But also, Grrreatttttt!

It will do until about midnight - I have dealt with thousands of ports over the years. It would have rung on both phones at 1 point and if you called you would have got the other phone ringing still. The system just needs to complete the handover.

On some ports I did from EE the number didn't change - it just stayed as was in the phone
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Dec-18 18:20:44
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Thanks smile.

Also see my post a minute ago in the other active thread in this forum smile There's a speed test result there.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Dec-18 18:55:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Thanks smile.

Also see my post a minute ago in the other active thread in this forum smile There's a speed test result there.

Niiiiiice!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to