General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andynormancx
(learned) Mon 28-Jan-19 12:29:59
Print Post

Re: 4G LTE Router & VDSL

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Just checked my SXT LTE kit interface setup, it definitely shows passthrough (bridging) as an option. So I expect I was wrong...

(though I haven't actually tested it works, I don't really need it at the moment, I'm happy with the LTE routing doing all my NAT and firewalling at the moment)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s77nfbrlyfrv7sr/Screenshot...

Edited by andynormancx (Mon 28-Jan-19 12:31:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Jan-19 12:31:47
Print Post

If you note - I got it from the pages for the product in question. It would be remarkable if that page linked to a software manual that was not applicable. There would at the very least be an exclusion either on the product pages or in that manual.

Otherwise none of their documentation could be trusted about anything.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-19 12:46:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You linked to two things, the first being the spec sheet for the product in question, which doesn't mention bridging.

The second was the generic manual for all their many dozens of products that use RouterOS. This documentation covers for example their older SXT LTE, which very definitely doesn't support bridging.

So no, they don't call out specific products in that manual to say which ones do and don't support bridging (but they do on the other page I linked to).

The manual in question covers loads of functionality that isn't present on the SXT LTE kit, for example all of the wifi functionality covered in the manual.

On the page in the manual on LTE bridging/passthrough they say "some LTE interfaces support LTE Passthrough feature".

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/LTE

But, I was wrong, the SXT LTE kit (as opposed to the older SXT LTE) does look like it supports bridging.

Edited by andynormancx (Mon 28-Jan-19 12:48:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Jan-19 12:50:10
Print Post

I linked to three things. The one inside the quote, and two later. It is the final one that links to the manual on the product page itself. Scroll down it to several links.

So now you've been wrong twice on this issue wink.

Edit: Actually it seems I have managed to make both the last two go to the same place. Both clearly to the "Support & Downloads" tab of the current product. One was meant to be the Specification tab.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 28-Jan-19 12:59:33)

Standard User gary333
(newbie) Tue 29-Jan-19 20:25:23
Print Post

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

Sim card arrived and it's not looking great (although 3 do say there is a network issue) as only getting average of 12mb/se (low of 1mb/sec & max of 20mb/sec)

Singal is quite high via temporary hotspot (-92db / -8db) so was hoping for better. Phone shows network is band 20 (so 800mhz).

Am i right to assume band 20 on '3' has little bandwidth?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-19 20:41:50
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:

Correct only 5mhz. (Same as EE).

You really want to pick up band 3 / 1800mhz where 3 have 15mhz or band 1 (2100mhz) which Three are gradually switching from 3G to 4G

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync highest was 61/8 now 54/6
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Standard User gary333
(newbie) Tue 29-Jan-19 21:08:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Correct only 5mhz. (Same as EE).

You really want to pick up band 3 / 1800mhz where 3 have 15mhz or band 1 (2100mhz) which Three are gradually switching from 3G to 4G

When i first inserted the sim I did get band 3. It might be the network trouble 3 were referring to however it flicked to band 20 after about 5 minutes. Signal on band 3 was still quite good (around -98db)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-19 22:20:54
Print Post

When i first inserted the sim I did get band 3. It might be the network trouble 3 were referring to however it flicked to band 20 after about 5 minutes. Signal on band 3 was still quite good (around -98db)

That is promising ; if the mast knows you can receive band 3 it will push you back from band 20 - unless there is a technical fault! smile

(regular) Wed 30-Jan-19 08:40:07
Print Post

I don't think I'd count -98dB as "quite good" wink

Using my externally mounted (about 5 metres up) Mikrotik SXT LTE kit I'm getting -80dB with -20dB SINR, that gets me 70-80 down and 30 up on band 20.

Correction: I meant to say band 3

With the Mikrotik indoors behind a window it drops to -90bB/-8bB/40/15.

However I am lucky with the mast only 1,000 metres away with mostly just a few trees and hedges between me and it.

Edited by andynormancx (Wed 30-Jan-19 14:19:26)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Jan-19 12:52:09
Print Post

If you're getting speeds of 70-80mbps on Band 20 (with 5mhz) then you've probably got all the capacity. Possible if you are very remote, but as Band 20 travels a long way, its less likely than happening with the other bands.

I only get 40mbps indoors from my local EE mast in the middle of a town!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to