General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nexxus
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-19 15:57:49
Print Post

Three Mobile BB or Phone plan with unlimited data?

[link to this post]

Hi,

So just noticed Three are currently doing the HomeFi mobile broadband with unlimited data for £22 on a 24 month contract, seems like a good deal to me

(currently on 10GB for £7 a month, which it dose not look like I can upgrade boooo.. Three... but the naggin 'only 10GB of data is really sucky.. have to keep an eye on what I use it for...anyway..)

BUT

Then they have the sim only with unlimited everything for only £20/month.

So whats the difference, is the Router the only thing that sets them apart now (I already have a B310) as I gather you can now use a Phone sim in a data modem with out issue or breaching the T&C?!

Is the phone Sim cheaper and technically gives you more? or is the Data Sim the way to go still for mobile broadband ?

Cheers,

matt
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Feb-19 17:43:46
Print Post

Re: Three Mobile BB or Phone plan with unlimited data?

[re: nexxus] [link to this post]

Hi Matt, I literally had this dilemma yesterday - I have a dual sim Oneplus phone - currently on Virgin Mobile getting 300GB a month for £20 - but I want to get rid of my home cable line - I figured for me that a sim was okay but I wanted something dedicated, as I am sure running a phone as a hotspot will wear it out over time. As I buy my phones rather than do contracts I want it to last as long as it can.

I'm not sure if I am going to bust the VM deal down - because it's overkill and I can go to 8GB for £6 a month - all I use my phone for is zapmap and tomtom anyway!

So I went for the Mifi at £22 a month - Both give you the same - I know the sim will give you SMS as well so if you text from the MiFI then its going to be good for you - I don't know if it breaks any rules putting that in your MiFi but I think I have seen some people saying they have without problems?

Personally I already have a mobile phone and sim so I don't need that function.

I spend 10-12 hours a day in a works minibus and I like all my passengers to have access to the internet - some of them don't have it - so this is for them - I've got a small inverter to run the thing too - And at night I can plug it in at home and carry on. I'm going to be moving possibly twice in the next year whilst I wait for a house to be built - so for me landlines or cable is a bad move for now

£2 Cheaper for the phone sim and 12 month contract. Edited as my spelling has gone to rubbish tonight :/

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 03-Feb-19 17:50:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Feb-19 18:38:00
Print Post

AIUI the HomeFi deal is data only.

The £20 SIM offer is fully functioning in a phone as well, with ul minutes and texts. The phone can definitely be tethered by USB to a computer or a normal router, or used as a hotspot which is what I do. But no use as your only broadband if you take the phone out and leave family without.

I have ditched my landline completely. Full story in this thread along with what other people have done if you haven't read it, since I started during the Black Friday offer period. IIRC some people in that thread have used it in their own MiFi router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nexxus
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-19 23:06:47
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

'£2 cheaper for the phone sim'

This is what I don't get, the phone sim is cheaper, but you get more.... (Ignoring not getting the B310 router, but I'v already got one with a 10GB data contract that this would replace)

More over I don't get any of Three's mobile broadband pricing atm, All the deals seem like a rip off apart from the 22/month unlimited, which seems reasonable!

From what I understand a few months back Three unrestricted the use of phone sims i Data modems, but I've not had a conclusive answer on that and was hoping for someone to confirm there is no issue now and no difference?!

As it is I have an unlimited everything phone sim (so I'm aware of what that offers..), this one would be an extra and dedicated to the broadband (woud replace current 10GB data sim in a B310), i'm just getting annoyed having to leather my phone when I want to do anything data intensive.

So just trying to decide if going for anywhere phone sim and saving 2/month makes more sense than a dedicated data sim. seems like a no brainier but there must be a catch somewhere...

Then the battle to get Three to 'upgrade' my current 10GB contract, you'd think that would be a no brainier too (customer wants to spend more money with you...keep them happy, sort them out a deal, but not usually...) or sort out some loyalty discount.... They don't seem to he much in the way of joined up thinking thought there....

m
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Feb-19 23:29:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by nexxus:
From what I understand a few months back Three unrestricted the use of phone sims i Data modems, but I've not had a conclusive answer on that and was hoping for someone to confirm there is no issue now and no difference?!
Yes you have had an answer to that. Both in my previous post here and officially in my thread.

You seem to lazy to read that despite my suggesting you should, which I did because all your questions so far are answered in it. Even possibly your one about the upgrade but that would need you to actually check out some detail yourself. Instead of asking to be spoonfed.

However, having said that - go and read this post and follow the link in it! To help you a little more wrt upgrading your 10GB, the £20 phone sim in question is an "Advanced Plan", but Three may not regard it as the nearest equivalent unless you can persuade someone. That's if yours is an Essentials, not already an "Advanced"

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Feb-19 00:19:06
Print Post

For me it made sense - Just because I am starting to more and more need a mobile connection for when we move about. Also I don't want to leather my phone all the time.

Please read the other post from Bob regarding the SIM - as I've never that so have no idea but it seems it's being done often.

I agree, the price seems very good - in return for the 24 month contract.
  Print Thread

Jump to