General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Feb-19 14:25:41
Print Post

Re: Three £20 FUP Limits

[re: teshy] [link to this post]

The question about using over 1TB, or perhaps even regularly using it, is whether commercial use is taking place. Not the amount itself.

The £20 Unlimited SIM is a domestic or home user product. Commercial use is not allowed.
Responsible use - How you use the Three Services
6.4 You may only use Three Services:
(a) as set out in this agreement; and
(b) for your own personal use. This means you must not resell or commercially exploit any of Three Services or our content.
Page 4 of the Terms and Conditions. Perfectly acceptable to both Ofcom and the ASA.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User gary333
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 14:34:58
Print Post

[re: longer] [link to this post]

Bear in mind that if the original poster is actually using the amount stated this is the equivalent to using a 17mb/sec connection 24 hours per day, every day (based on Feb MTD).

If i was three, i'd be kicking him off as it's hard to see how anyone could be using this amount of data on a regular basis for anything 'consumer'. Then again it's their own fault for advertising the thing as unlimited as you do get people who have to take the mess, it's the same as with all you can eat restaurants.

If you are using <1TB Three call out that this is fine. Hardly anyone is using >1TB per month, even via a decent cable based internet connection.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Feb-19 14:58:45
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

They probably won't worry about a few, spread around the country. Just to avoid the bad publicity. They would need to be pretty sure of their ground as well, as "no commercial use" is about their only stipulation.

Given the Good Friday deal, which like many others lasted a couple of weeks, seems to have been a pilot trial that after a month break they have brought back seemingly for a while, they must be fairly confident that it isn't being hugely abused. The standard price was £27pm in the interim, and apparently available as an upgrade at £19pm after just a month on any other plan.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 15:10:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They probably won't worry about a few, spread around the country. Just to avoid the bad publicity. They would need to be pretty sure of their ground as well, as "no commercial use" is about their only stipulation.

Given the Good Friday deal, which like many others lasted a couple of weeks, seems to have been a pilot trial that after a month break they have brought back seemingly for a while, they must be fairly confident that it isn't being hugely abused. The standard price was £27pm in the interim, and apparently available as an upgrade at £19pm after just a month on any other plan.

There are usually lots of 'get out's littered within the T&C's. Bear in mind they won't disconnect the user and expect them to pay for unused service. Here are a couple of the examples in the T&C's which they *could* apply if they wanted to:

(b) we advise you that your excessive use of Three Services (as may be defined in
accordance with Section 6.7 above) is causing problems for other users, and
you're continuing to use Three Services excessively

(e) to download, send or upload content of an excessive size, quantity or
frequency. We'll contact you if your use is excessive;

Edited by gary333 (Wed 06-Feb-19 15:26:27)

Standard User teshy
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 15:24:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The question about using over 1TB, or perhaps even regularly using it, is whether commercial use is taking place. Not the amount itself.

The £20 Unlimited SIM is a domestic or home user product. Commercial use is not allowed.

That is correct. There is a paragraph in their terms and conditions that a plan can only be used for commercial use if it is specifically a business plan. They also do not provide VAT invoices for non-business plans.

Edited by teshy (Wed 06-Feb-19 15:25:11)

Standard User Mary12234
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 16:37:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by gary333:
Bear in mind that if the original poster is actually using the amount stated this is the equivalent to using a 17mb/sec connection 24 hours per day, every day (based on Feb MTD).

If i was three, i'd be kicking him off as it's hard to see how anyone could be using this amount of data on a regular basis for anything 'consumer'. Then again it's their own fault for advertising the thing as unlimited as you do get people who have to take the mess, it's the same as with all you can eat restaurants.

If you are using <1TB Three call out that this is fine. Hardly anyone is using >1TB per month, even via a decent cable based internet connection.

To be honest I joined three last Nov black friday sim deal cancelled talk talk broadband checking my last two months bills transfered over 700gb each month.

I do know a restaurant down my street replaced his Virgin business fibre broadband and using a cheap £20 unlimited data sim saving him £100 each month.
Of course he signed up using his home address.

Edited by Mary12234 (Wed 06-Feb-19 16:41:21)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Feb-19 22:51:58
Print Post

Hardly anyone is using >1TB per month, even via a decent cable based internet connection.

Well.

When I had VM cable I did 8-10TB a month, just because I loved to download 4K content and 4K packs from torrents - I was never told off for it - and i no longer have cable - on this Three unlimited router package I will be lucky to do 100GB in a month as I get around 20mbps here - but that's fine for me I don't need to download anymore - I'm all bored out of downloading for the sake of it.
Standard User longer
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-19 08:57:12
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Hardly anyone is using >1TB per month, even via a decent cable based internet connection.

Well.

When I had VM cable I did 8-10TB a month, just because I loved to download 4K content and 4K packs from torrents - I was never told off for it - and i no longer have cable - on this Three unlimited router package I will be lucky to do 100GB in a month as I get around 20mbps here - but that's fine for me I don't need to download anymore - I'm all bored out of downloading for the sake of it.

Very true words so easy to rack up 1tb data just me watching Netflix 4k/Apple music/youtube on the way to work. 10 days into my billing date already used 125gb that just phone data no tethering.
I can see a household with a big family racking up 2tb with ease so many 4k content to stream and console downloading games are around 40gb+.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Feb-19 09:00:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by longer:
I can see a household with a big family racking up 2tb with ease so many 4k content to stream and console downloading games are around 40gb+.
I doubt if any serious gamer would find mobile broadband much use. The latency is so high and variable.

Standard User gary333
(learned) Thu 07-Feb-19 10:04:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by longer:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:

Well.

Very true words so easy to rack up 1tb data just me watching Netflix 4k/Apple music/youtube on the way to work. 10 days into my billing date already used 125gb that just phone data no tethering.

I don't disagree that there are users using lots of data. My point was that the average user is not using anywhere near 1TB and thus they don't need to worry about a 'cap'. The Average fixed BB in the UK in 2018 stood at 190GB per connection. Yes, in theory people can use massive amount of data, but in reality there is not a high proportion of people using over 1TB (else the average would be skewed even more so than it is).

I would say that your usage pattern (for the activities you are using your connection for) are well above average, and yes if you had a family of people replicating your use then you'd easily be exceeding 1TB. However, even people who watch TV on the go are unlikely to be watching in 4K (even if they could). Even your current usage continuing would only equal 375GB in a month so you would still have 625GB for tethering before you even crack 1TB.

In my family there are 5 people, we watch all of our TV via our broadband connections (no freeview or sky/virgin. This can mean 5 devices at any one time could be using netflix, amazon, Youtube etc (with 3 of them being 4K capable). We also have 2 Xbox's and the kids download games to this too. I work from home quite often and my job type means I use relatively large datasets.

Even with all this going on I vary rarely go over 250GB per month and I am certainly a higher user of data than my peer group.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to