General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User revorta
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-19 10:45:31
Print Post

Bandwidth limit on Huawei B525 4G router in france

[link to this post]

We are looking at getting a 4G router in France from SFR (rural, poor phone lines) which will be limited to 200GB data per month. Which will be plenty as long as it doesn't get used up streaming & listening to Spotify etc.

The router supplied is a Huawei B525 - and I can't find online if that has bandwidth limits or QOS available. So if anyone has one and knows the answer to that (or is a better googler than me) then please do let me know!

Assuming it doesn't have anything in the box what is the best option? Buying a different router that does or using a different (non 4G) router to connect to B525 via cable and then use that to supply WiFi.

We'll all be connecting via WiFi and I'm thinking that limiting the bandwidth will have no noticeable effect on web browsing / email / whatsapp etc but will make streaming so annoying as to be useless. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for any help. Particularly french speakers who might find the answers on SFR forums!

very happy with metronet.co.uk
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Feb-19 22:38:36
Print Post

Re: Bandwidth limit on Huawei B525 4G router in france

[re: revorta] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by revorta:
if that has bandwidth limits or QOS available.
Would not seem to have going by HUAWEI B525s-23a LTE CPE Product Description .

I hear it's well thought of tho'.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 19-Feb-19 22:40:20)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Feb-19 18:13:35
Print Post

I'd be tempted to link a Draytek router to the 4G box as Draytek has very good bandwidth and quota management.

If you have an ADSL connection from Free.fr that entitles you to a mobile subscription with unimited 4G data. There are reports of Free users exceeding 1TB a month with this set-up. This may of course be no use if you can't get a strong signal from Free.

There's a French forum which you may already have come across. If you haven't, head over to https://routeur4g.fr/ as there are lots of interesting posts.

I'm also currently working on a 4G solution in France smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User revorta
(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-19 08:32:43
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thanks

Local mast is SFR or Bouygues, ADSL is too poor here so we can get the 4g box from either of them. Are we better buying a box & getting a sim? Tbh we could use a three sim from uk for a couple of months I guess.

Funnily enough I have an old Draytek 2710 at home that I use to extend WiFi. I tried the bandwidth limit in there but it seems it only affects Wan not Lan. Maybe need to reconfigure do it sees main router (plusnet hub one) as Wan?

very happy with plus.net
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Mar-19 00:36:14
Print Post

Apologies for the slow reply. The Draytek should work on bandwidth limiting ethernet clients as well as wi-fi ones. Beware trying to use a UK Three SIM for data roaming in France as there are restrictions on data usage. You only get up to a specified amount when roaming - and that is set by an EU regulation;
if a person has unlimited mobile data or very cheap mobile data at home, his operator may apply a safeguard (fair use) limit on data use while roaming. If so, the operator will have to inform the customer in advance about such a limit and alert them when they reach this limit.

The EU rules ensure that such a roaming data limit should cover the normal usage patterns of most travellers. If a person reaches the limit, they can continue to use data roaming for a very small fee: up to 6/GB + VAT
I believe that Three allows you to use up to 19GB of data a month while roaming [link]

See what download speed you can get using your existing 4G mobile phone (the Fing app is quite useful for this) with a SIM card from your desired provider. If the speed is a bit low you might want to consider an external antenna.

It seems that my 4G deployment has now fizzled out as the two locations I was going to install in have now gone live with SFR fibre. One has now ordered FTTP and I'm getting the other to confirm that FTTP actually is available.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to