Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ruralbill
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-09 11:48:38
Print Post

Post Office Broadband

[link to this post]

Anyone got any ideas why my I can't use Netgear DGN2000 modem to connect to the PO network.
All my ISP will give me is a login name & password. Despite all my protestations that this just doesn't work, they won't say anything else (don't support 3rd party modems, mate).
I've even had an hour long discussion and step by step guide through the set up process on my modem with a Netgear tech. The result, an all too familiar 'CHAP authentication failed' message.
He concluded there's something wrong with your login details!
arrrggh

Help - please
Standard User john2007
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Feb-09 12:15:35
Print Post

Re: Post Office Broadband

[re: Ruralbill] [link to this post]

What settings have you entered in your router?

In particular what do you have for encapsulation (e.g. LLC or V_Mux), VPI, VCI, MTU and ADSL mode (e.g. g.dmt, adsl2+).
Standard User E7er
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Feb-09 12:35:39
Print Post

Hi, all you need is user name and password with:

Select Connection Type: PPPoA

VIP: 0 <--- (this is a zero)
VCI: 38
ATM Encapsulation: Routed VC-Mux

The Post Office use BT Wholesale any ADSL modem/router should connect, if it donít the user name or password must be incorrect.

http://www.firenet.co.uk
Firenet BT MAX 8Mbps. Exchange DSLAM=TSTC=Texas Instruments.
3Com 3CRWDR100A-72-UK ADSL2/2+ modem/router uses Texas Instruments AR7 Chipset

Edited by E7er (Tue 17-Feb-09 12:38:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ruralbill
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-09 13:24:08
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Hi, Thanks for the rapid response.

The details you asked for are :
Encapsulation PPPoA
VC-Based, VP1 is 0 VCI is 38
MTU is 1458 (their modem shows 1500)

LAN set-up: RIP direction is none; RIP version is RIP-1

WAN test shows: Negotation: LCP is allowed to come up
Authentication: ---

I can't find anything saying ADSL mode on either modem. I hope that gives you some ideas.
I have tried to compare their modem set-up (it's originally a Netgear DM111PSP type) with mine as each configuration
is accessed the same way, but my technical know how has limits!

Regards
Standard User Ruralbill
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-09 13:29:01
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quick.

Your thinking is as mine - especially after my discussions with the Netgear tech. The information you provided is what the set-up shows in both my modem and theirs.

The user name is correct as this is pre-loaded in the PO modem - it can be seen when then connection status window is accessed. However, I can't tell if the password is the same as the one the PO keep sending me.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 12-Feb-10 07:59:08
Print Post

I'm having exactly the same problem in trying to configure a Netgear Wireless Modem Router with this ISP as well.
Netgear unit is fine as it runs perfectly OK on my TalkTalk provded line at home but will it connect to the PO service........
Hours on the phone to Tech Support have resulted in no progress, aside from being given a totally different password and username to that supplied in their documentation, but all to no avail as CHAPS authentication fails.
Modem has both upstream and downstream connection so must be a problem with either the password or the service being locked to the MAC address of the supplied router.
If anyone has the answer please post as this is infuriating.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-10 08:11:19
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The MAC on most netgear routers can be changed throughthe normal admin interface. You could try setting it to the same as the MAC of the original router and see if that works.
Standard User Ruralbill
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-10 08:39:52
Print Post

I never did get to the bottom of this. In the end I let the 12 month contract run out and recently transferred to Plusnet. Guess what - put my Netgear router on and bingo it hooked up first time - no problems.
I've not looked at the router settings to see how they compare with what I used to get during the attempts to use it with PO broadband. However, the Plusnet router 'Thompson Gateway' settings were similar.
The PO service was fine - very reliable but their Tech dept left a lot to be desired.

Sorry I can't be of any real help
Standard User adamr12345
(newbie) Thu 17-Jun-10 11:24:55
Print Post

I was worried about this when my hardware arrived with no means of getting the password for the ADSL connection. However...

I phoned up the PO broadband support line and talked to a helpful guy who immediately gave me all the details I needed to get a connection set up using my Netgear wireless modem/router laugh

Fantastic, I couldn't be happier! Maybe PO have changed their policy, or something, to actually be helpful to their customers wink

Adam
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Jul-10 20:17:28
Print Post

i had this problem and i used another router 2 get on the net downloaded latest netgear firm ware flashed netgear router and it went from chap to sucsess and was online
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 17-Jul-10 11:08:10
Print Post

[re: adamr12345] [link to this post]

The password for the connection can be decoded from the backup of the settings from the PO router to a file. I did this to put a wireless router on next door's PO account as she had never received a password (and I'm not sure the password for the online account is the same as the router login).

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Aug-10 14:25:20
Print Post

hi,

I have post office broadband and a zyxel cable router i have a netgear ADSLl2+ and I want that instead of a zyxel but it dont work the dsl lite shows up but the intrenet is not connected any help please.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 18-Nov-10 16:02:50
Print Post

Hi Your password on the modem is diffarent
If you phone the post office help line they will give it to you
They have too
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 18-Nov-10 16:58:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

service being locked to the MAC address of the supplied router.

The router's MAC address used to be relevant to cable modems but has it ever been relevant to BTw-based PPPoA services?
Standard User iMacThere4iAm
(newbie) Sun 25-Dec-11 17:32:54
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The password for the ADSL is NOT the same as the password for the user account,and is not normally provided by Post Office unless you are lucky and get a friendly tech on the phone.
The username is also not the same - it is in the form "your.nameX.postoffice@mypostoffice.com" where X is a number, the same as in your email address.
You can get all of the details you need from the Post Office supplied router, including the correct username and password and other settings such as VPI.VCI.
I have a Zyxel P660RT1v3 which does not allow you to save a backup of the configuration file, but there is another way to see the password.
In Firefox (other browsers might work), go to the router configuration page where the password is hidden behind asterisks, then paste the following code into the address bar and press enter.
javascript: var p=r(); function r(){var g=0;var x=false;var x=z(document.forms);g=g+1;var w=window.frames;for(var k=0;k<w.length;k++) {var x = ((x) || (z(w[k].document.forms)));g=g+1;}if (!x) alert('Password not found in ' + g + ' forms');}function z(f){var b=false;for(var i=0;i<f.length;i++) {var e=f.elements;for(var j=0;j<e.length;j++) {if (h(e[j])) {b=true}}}return b;}function h(ej){var s='';if (ej.type=='password'){s=ej.value;if (s!=''){prompt('Password found ', s)}else{alert('Password is blank')}return true;}}

A dialog box will pop up revealing the correct password. Write this down along with all the other details,and type hem in the new router exactly as they appear.
Good luck!

Edited by iMacThere4iAm (Sun 25-Dec-11 17:46:18)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 19:21:20
Print Post

[re: iMacThere4iAm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iMacThere4iAm:
The password for the ADSL is NOT the same as the password for the user account,and is not normally provided by Post Office unless you are lucky and get a friendly tech on the phone.
The username is also not the same - it is in the form "your.nameX.postoffice@mypostoffice.com" where X is a number, the same as in your email address.
You can get all of the details you need from the Post Office supplied router, including the correct username and password and other settings such as VPI.VCI.
I have a Zyxel P660RT1v3 which does not allow you to save a backup of the configuration file, but there is another way to see the password.
In Firefox (other browsers might work), go to the router configuration page where the password is hidden behind asterisks, then paste the following code into the address bar and press enter.
javascript: var p=r(); function r(){var g=0;var x=false;var x=z(document.forms);g=g+1;var w=window.frames;for(var k=0;k<w.length;k++) {var x = ((x) || (z(w[k].document.forms)));g=g+1;}if (!x) alert('Password not found in ' + g + ' forms');}function z(f){var b=false;for(var i=0;i<f.length;i++) {var e=f.elements;for(var j=0;j<e.length;j++) {if (h(e[j])) {b=true}}}return b;}function h(ej){var s='';if (ej.type=='password'){s=ej.value;if (s!=''){prompt('Password found ', s)}else{alert('Password is blank')}return true;}}

A dialog box will pop up revealing the correct password. Write this down along with all the other details,and type hem in the new router exactly as they appear.
Good luck!

This didn't work for me, it just searches for what i pasted on google.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 18-Mar-12 14:27:15
Print Post

for those where the code doesnt work (this is for google chrome users) higlight the password - right click - inspect element - a lot of code will come up at the bottom - the password is alongside the word 'value'
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to