Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johncarroll1
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-09 17:08:03
Print Post

Adding a wireless access point...please help!!!

[link to this post]

Hi All

I've purchased a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N Router and a Netgear WN802T Wireless Access Point.

I'm pulling my hair out!!

I need to be able to basically add the WN802T to the DGN2000 wirelessly (no cabling).
Does anybody have any step by step guides on how to achieve this?

It's been driving me mad, my laptop can detect the Access Point perfectly but i need to get the Access Point to talk to my main DGN2000 router wirlessly..basically extending the coverage.

The DGN2000 and WN802T are within range of each other, only a couple of rooms away. It's primarily to boost my connection to the other end of the house which should work.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 19-Aug-09 22:33:54
Print Post

Re: Adding a wireless access point...please help!!!

[re: johncarroll1] [link to this post]

I imagine you're expecting to use WDS to do this. (Wireless distribution system).

Do both devices support WDS ? Check their data sheets.

If not, you're screwed.

If they do, turn off the security and set each one up to use the other's MAC as it's WDS buddy.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
(newbie) Thu 20-Aug-09 08:38:52
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Does this mean i will have to use MAC Access list for anyone that wants to connect to the network? if so that sucks. Can you do WDS alongside WEP or WPA to secure the wireless network?

How does WDS actually work i hear of something called a pin..but doesn't make much sense.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Aug-09 08:45:18
Print Post

Might be worth your while to read this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_S...

I have no idea of its accuracy as I know nothing about WDS.
(newbie) Thu 20-Aug-09 09:26:35
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Thanks both units support WDS, but does anybody have a step-by-step guides on how to setup WDS.

What's this PIN thing?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 21-Aug-09 16:25:47
Print Post

Re: Adding a wireless access point...please help!!

in general setting up WDS involves putting the MAC of the other access point in the setup of each. I don't believe WDS supports anything other than WEP and I would recommend trying it without security first.

The exact pages you have to go to will vary by device, so perhaps RTFM ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Aug-09 13:55:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by johncarroll1:
Hi All

I've purchased a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N Router and a Netgear WN802T Wireless Access Point.

I'm pulling my hair out!!

I need to be able to basically add the WN802T to the DGN2000 wirelessly (no cabling).
Does anybody have any step by step guides on how to achieve this?

It's been driving me mad, my laptop can detect the Access Point perfectly but i need to get the Access Point to talk to my main DGN2000 router wirlessly..basically extending the coverage.

The DGN2000 and WN802T are within range of each other, only a couple of rooms away. It's primarily to boost my connection to the other end of the house which should work.
Hi, this 3Com pdf might help you with configuring your Netgear WN802T-200 wireless access point.

www.3com.com/other/pdfs/products/en_US/104108.pdf

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/list/kw/#s=eyJzZiI...

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

http://www.firenet.co.uk
Firenet BT MAX 8Mbps. Sync 8128 Kbps. Exchange DSLAM=TSTC=Texas Instruments.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router uses Texas Instruments AR7 Chipset
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 Dual SSID ADSL2+ wireless Router
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Oct-09 06:57:43
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Not to start a flame war, but honestly do the participants in this thread really know how to set up WDS? The answers here are terse and borderline flippant...

This is what I've learned:
Configuring WDS btwn the DGN2000 and WN802T-200 so that you have wireless client association (meaning the DGN2000 AND WN802T-200 can connect WIRELESSLY with your computer or iphone - ideal if you want to eg., extend your signal to 2 floors and your house is made of concrete) requires the following (BTW, pt-pt/multi-pt bridging does NOT support wireless client association with the DGN2000; meaning you can only connect to the DGN2000 via ethernet in either bridging mode):

1) start by setting up your DGN2000 basic wireless settings with your preferred SSID and NO security (i'm assuming readers know how to do this).

2) connect to your DGN2000 wirelessly. Now, on to the advanced wireless settings - on the DGN2000, go to advanced wireless settings > select "WDS" > click on check box "Enable Wireless Bridging & Repeating" > click on radio button "Repeater with Wireless Client Association" > enter MAC address of WN802T-200 found on bottom on of unit.

3) now to configure your WN802T-200. Physically connect your computer to the WN802T-200 via ethernet, then go to advanced wireless bridging > click on check box "Repeater with Wireless Client Association" > enter MAC address of DGN2000 found on bottom on of unit (verify this is the correct MAC address as listed on the DGN2000 screen in step #1; if the address printed does not match the one listed on the screen, then enter the one on screen).

4) duplicate your basic wireless settings previously set on the DGN2000 on your WN802T-200. Remember, only the SSID and NO security should be entered at this point. Make sure the channel setting is identical too. You want to do this after configuring the advanced wireless settings on your WN802T-200, just in case the connect gets broken btwn the WN802T-200 and you as a newbie can't get back into the admin page w/o calling netgear.

5) Test wireless connectivity by disconnecting the WN802T-200 from your computer and place it where you want the WN802T-200 to permanently reside. You want to connect w/o security to verify wireless connection btwn the 2 devices work. If they do, you can now set your security settings first on the WN802T-200 then on the DGN2000; that way you can maintain a wireless connection to your WN802T-200 throughout this process and make subsequent security changes without having to physically attach the ethernet cable to the WN802T-200.

5a) I have confirmed with Netgear Senior Tech Support WEP over WDS works. So, you can set your 64- or 128-bit WEP network key first on your WN802T-200, then on your DGN2000, and then remove and reconnect to the wireless network on your computer. You're good to go at this point and can stop here. But as we all know, WEP is obsolete as it can be cracked in under 5min. MAC filtering and hiding SSID broadcast aren't effective deterrents either. The better option would be to use WPA/WPA2 over WDS.

5b) WPA+WPA2 over WDS: Now this is where it gets nebulous. I don't know if this security will work; it would be ideal if it did. I spent the last 8 days with Netgear trying to get a WN802T-200 to work with WPA over WDS and still no joy. The Netgear Senior Tech helping me says he has actually seen WPA over WDS done with the DGN2000 and WN802T-200 and thinks I have a defective WN802T-200, so I'm waiting to get another unit shipped from Netgear. I will update this post as soon as I hear from him and we actually try it out.

So there you have it. Hope this helps.
-THOMAS ANDERSON
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-09 08:19:24
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

3) now to configure your WN802T-200. Physically connect your computer to the WN802T-200 via ethernet, then go to advanced wireless bridging > click on check box "Repeater with Wireless Client Association" > enter MAC address of DGN2000 found on bottom on of unit (verify this is the correct MAC address as listed on the DGN2000 screen in step #1; if the address printed does not match the one listed on the screen, then enter the one on screen).
Why bother with the MAC on the bottom of the unit? Just enter the one on the screen.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Oct-09 04:10:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

sure. in fact, it's best if you get the mac address from the screen. on 2 of the modem/routers i purchased the MAC addresses were printed on the bottom incorrectly by 1 letter.

-TA
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to