Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User koalaelf
(newbie) Sun 04-Apr-10 14:51:40
Print Post

How to set up a Netgear DG834G v1 as a Wireless AP only?

[link to this post]

I am attempting to set my DG834G v1 up as a wireless access point which will be connected via ethernet to a DG834G v4 acting as a Modem/Router.

I have switched off wireless on the DG834G v4, disabled NAT and enabled wireless on the DG834G v1.

I can currently connect to the wireless network but not the internet.

I am assuming the intended WAP needs to have a Static IP address set that begins with the default IP address string of 192.168.0.xxx and be on the same subnet?

What should the gateway IP address be on the intended WAP?

Am I missing something obvious? (no doubt!)

Can someone who has set up something similar give me some guidance or point me in the direction of some info on the subject (can't find much from a quick google search).

Many thanks, Hayley

remember: Virgin Media are EVILLL!!!! >_<
Standard User BP1
(member) Sun 04-Apr-10 15:14:30
Print Post

Re: How to set up a Netgear DG834G v1 as a Wireless AP only?

[re: koalaelf] [link to this post]

On your DG834G v1 disable the DHCP server so that the DG834G v4 provides all the DHCP IP addreses on your lan network. Also make sure that DG834G v1 is given a diffrenet IP address eg 192.168.0.2.
Plugin the ethernet cable between the AP and Router LAN ports and not WAN. Switch on and your PC's / Laptops should have access to the internet.
The gateway on your DG834G v1 should automatically point to 192.168.0.1 as given by the DG834G v4 DHCP. This is assuming that the ip address of the DG834G v4 is 192.168.0.1.

Any problems come back

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"

Edited by BP1 (Sun 04-Apr-10 15:17:21)

Standard User koalaelf
(newbie) Sun 04-Apr-10 23:15:45
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Fantastic - all sorted now. It was completely my own stupidity - I had disabled NAT in the "Basic Settings" section of the router configuration, and forgotten to untick "Use Router as DHCP Server" in the "LAN IP Setup" section.

Thankyou for your input - I knew it would turn out to be something simple, but having you go over the basics made me actually *think* about what I was doing!. smile

Thanks again, Hayley

remember: Virgin Media are EVILLL!!!! >_<

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BP1
(member) Mon 05-Apr-10 12:02:00
Print Post

[re: koalaelf] [link to this post]

koalaelf - Thats great news you got your setup working.
Most important thing thanks for posting back and confirming that this setup works. I am sure this may help someone else searching these forums for a similar problems.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User bigforker
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 23:27:40
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Hi all

near complete dunce here, looking to do same as koalaelf and thought, seeing her messages in this post, to follow the attractively-simple steps.

However I fear I'm making an even more basic error.

Here's the picture: I have DG834GT as modem and router. It connects via ethernet to a desktop machine and wirelessly to the laptop used as my main machine.

I have DG834G that I want to use as a wireless access point, linked to the GT by ethernet cable from LAN port to LAN port. When all is working as wanted it will be in a part of our house where the GT wireless signal is too degraded to connect. Too many metres, too many walls.

I have turned DHCP off on the DG834G. I have not turned NAT off on either machine.
Each machine has its' unique SSID and each has its' unique wifi channel.

Here's my quandary; if I then, still in the management pages of the DG834G, go to the 'LAN IP Setup' page and write in a change to the IP address - changing 192.168.0.1 to eg 192.168.0.2 - whilst making no further change, I immediately lose contact to the DG834G management pages.

What's that you say? No wonder, you muppet, you've just changed the address you're talking to and now you're surprised it disappears? Well, if I bail out of the DG834G management pages and look for it again using either the default 192.168.0.1 or the IP address I just reset, no dice; it isn't found. I'm surprised and befuddled by this, and thinking this point is my lack of knowledge.

Having reset the DG834G (via the very useful and get-out-of-jail free reset button) I can recover comms and reverify that it will once again connect to internet, in isolation. I've unplugged the GT from the ADSL line during that reverification and plugged the DG834G into the same ADSL line. All works fine; both routers will work OK in isolation, so I can get back to the task of making them work as master and slave.

The desktop is turned off during all this.

Therefore it seems to me that I'm in need of a bit of intensely basic advice about changing the IP address of the DG834G. I do have DHCP turned off, so as soon as I connect the DG834G to the GT via ethernet it should take its' address from the GT, right?

That's not happening; I'm definitely doing something stupid, echoing koalaelf's view!

Could I ask for a little advice?

regards

BF
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 08:17:32
Print Post

[re: bigforker] [link to this post]

I didn't know all the hurdles possible, so I connected directly to the router I was going to use as access point, set everything up (including the new self-address), and saved it. Then verified I could access from the directly connected PC.

Next, moved it to the desired location and checked things still worked.

Almost forgot, the access point is set to a 'local' address, which isn't within the range set by DHCP for the 'real' router, and DHCP on the access point is turned off.

HTH

Derek

Edited by dandnsmith (Thu 24-Mar-11 08:19:59)

Standard User bigforker
(newbie) Thu 24-Mar-11 18:04:35
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice.

To check understanding; looks like you set the router that will be the wireless access point so that it will allow internet access when connected directly; you set that up in the conventional way.

At this stage you set an individual IP Address. I'm guessing; you used a static IP address, set on the 'basic settings' page.

Then, you moved it to the desired location and reset the IP address to something outside the DHCP address range controlled by the router that, in practice, will be the method to reach t'internet for the home network in its' entirety. That IP address might be outside the range 192.168.0.2 to 0.254; might be 0.255.

Then, you connected the access-point riuter by an ethernet cable from LAN port to LAn port on the internet-access router, switched all on, connected computer to wireless-access router and - voila! - could connect OK to t'internet.

Correct?

BF
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Fri 25-Mar-11 08:13:59
Print Post

[re: bigforker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bigforker:
To check understanding; looks like you set the router that will be the wireless access point so that it will allow internet access when connected directly; you set that up in the conventional way.

Almost right - but I set it not to acquire an internet connection (tho' it didn't really matter).

At this stage you set an individual IP Address. I'm guessing; you used a static IP address, set on the 'basic settings' page.
Yes - this address isn't, of course, the WAN side address.

Then, you moved it to the desired location and reset the IP address to something outside the DHCP address range controlled by the router that, in practice, will be the method to reach t'internet for the home network in its' entirety. That IP address might be outside the range 192.168.0.2 to 0.254; might be 0.255.

Have to be a bit careful here, as it may affect routing. What I did was equivalent to restricting the IP range allocated by DHCP to within 2-254 (say 10-150), and then using 160 for the access point.

Then, you connected the access-point router by an ethernet cable from LAN port to LAN port on the internet-access router, switched all on, connected computer to wireless-access router and - voila! - could connect OK to the internet.

Yes.

There's a slight bit extra which can be added - you can have both router and access point offering the wireless service on different channels if you want.

Derek
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 11-Jul-11 21:41:34
Print Post

Re: How to set up a Netgear DG834G v2 as a Wireless AP only?

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

Hi

I'm struggling to get a DG834G v2 working as a WAP, I've pretty much got it set up correctly, DHCP off, assigned an IP add that is outside the range used by the main wireless router (thompson O2) etc. My problem is the download speed/reliability, its awful, will browse ok but wont stream video, download game demos etc. I have ran speed checkers and it pings ok but download is sometimes 0.09 meg and thas if it manages to complete the test, funny thing is upload is fine 0.9 meg, if i connect a device direct to the WAP via LAN port the download shoots up to 6 meg. Mr netgear is connected via homeplugs (tested with long Cat5 and its same so not the homeplugs) to my Thomson wireless router.

Some said could be interference so I checked today and.............. Regarding possible interference, I unplugged everything in the room, I ran a test (Speedtest, I know they're not suggested but with my limited knowledge they seem a simple test to perform) and bingo it seemed to work first time, however that couldn't be repeated, luck perhaps! I then moved the netgear away from the room altogether and back into the office but again it didn't work correctly and downloads and speed tests were just rubbish so I must rule out interference.

To check that somehow the antenna hadn't been damaged, because simply connecting to the netgear with a wire it works fine (whether or not this is using the netgears software or just using it as a kinda extension port I don't know), I set it up again as my main router and hey no problems at all as a wireless router, so I can rule out antenna problem.

So basically when I turn off DHCP and try to use it as a WAP it just does not perform at all, glitchy web access and any kind of video on demand just wont work at all, however upload speed seems ok and registers far higher than download. Now I'm not 100% certain what I'm doing with the IP settings etc but to have it working to some degree I assume I've done it correctly, my O2 router is 192.168.1.254 with a range from 63 - 253 for devices, my netgear in the LAN IP setup was 192.168.0.1 so I changed it to 168.168.1.50 so it sits outside the O2 range, was that right?

The very strange thing is that playing xbox live games online it seems to perform well, however if I try to download a game demo, just like downloading on the laptops, its not existent and won't work, I would have thought the gaming side would have needed 100% working, maybe not.

Any help appreciated as I'd really like to get wireless broadcasting at the end of the house where my O2 router wont reach.

One point I need to make is my DG834g is version2, now I understand v2 does not support wireless repeating or wireless bridging like newer versions, but I didn't thing what I was doing (WAP) is the same, am I right or wrong? But if it doesn't support what I'm doing then how come it works a little bit, and with xbox live (gaming only) it works fine.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Cheers

Jonathan
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-11 22:29:14
Print Post

Re: How to set up a Netgear DG834G v2 as a Wireless AP only?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Interference is being used to mean other wireless networks on the same channel as your kit, this will affect the performance. You need to change the channel, software like inssider can be used on a pc or laptop with a wireless card to see what channels are in use.

The ip address you have set the Netgear is fine.

Dave
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to