Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Subject_X
(newbie) Wed 06-Oct-10 23:27:39
Print Post

BT Infinity + Wi-Fi speed issues

[link to this post]

Hey all.

I have just had BT Infinity installed and I am having this problem with Wi-Fi that I've pretty much been going in circles for hours now. Basically, with a wired connection we are averaging at around 35-38MB whereas through Wi-Fi (Wireless N) I only seem to be getting 25MB at absolute best.

The only thing that I can think of which could be preventing this is the fact that the wireless card speed in properties says 65.0mbps which is very close to G speed. I have been told to look for an option that changes the frequency from 20MHz to 40MHz but there is no option anywhere for this.

The network card I am using is Atheros AR9285 (built into a laptop). I have tried numerous drivers, looked for options that might help on the Home Hub but I've had no luck anywhere and I've just about had enough of it lol.

Note: My brother has a USB Wireless N card in his PC and he is also suffering the same issue (although I haven't looked for that frequency thing), in fact it's worse than mine.

If anyone can help solve this I would very much appriciate it.

Thanks for reading.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 07-Oct-10 00:35:26
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity + Wi-Fi speed issues

[re: Subject_X] [link to this post]

Can you clarify EXACTLY what your are seeing

25MB in how long? 1 second? 1 minute? 1 week? If 1 second then that is over 200Mbps which is extremely good

And your wireless card says 65mbps - 15 second for 1 bit? That is definitely wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MarkHampshire
(committed) Thu 07-Oct-10 00:45:40
Print Post

Someone with VM 50Mbps cable had problems with their router shaving their speed, and posted some useful stuff in this thread:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/virgin_cable/f/3642...

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 07-Oct-10 01:06:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Can you clarify EXACTLY what your are seeing

25MB in how long? 1 second? 1 minute? 1 week? If 1 second then that is over 200Mbps which is extremely good

And your wireless card says 65mbps - 15 second for 1 bit? That is definitely wrong.
Don't be so picky... he's a newbie and you're not being helpful.

The terminology may not be exactly correct, but it's obvious what he means.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Oct-10 08:34:14
Print Post

Your problem is that it is connecting at 65Mbps. At that rate 25Mbps throughput is about right in the wireless world (a wireless G router will normally have about 20Mbps in either direction as half the speed is used for up, half for down and the overheads on wireless are fairly hefty).

So, how far away from the router is the laptop? If you have the laptop very near the router then does it improve the connection speed?

Also, would be worth running something like inSSIDer. That can show you what other wireless networks are in the area. It could be that the wireless N is having to dial back the use of a number of channels because there are too many other wireless networks in the local area. I am assuming this is 2.4Ghz only - does the router also support 5Ghz wireless N? If so then it could be that adding a wireless N card to the laptop that does both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz could make a big boost as few people are using the 5Ghz range (2.4Ghz is also affected by other household devices such as microwaves, washing machines, etc - it's the dumping ground for interference).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 07-Oct-10 15:07:06
Print Post

I was talking internet speeds. I probably should of mentioned that tbh but I was uber tired so give me a break tongue .

So basically in real world download speeds I am getting 4.6MB/s on the wire and about 3-3.2MB/s on the Wi-Fi.

Thanks for replies so far I will read 'em in more detail when I get home.

-Subject_X
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 05-Apr-11 23:45:29
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Think yourself lucky!!
I get 37 Mbps over ethernet with infinity option 2, paltry 10 mbps over wifi. I called them and they said wifi causes that at peak times and nothing I can do about it except connect wired which far from ideal since my main telephone point and broadband connection point is in my hallway.
when it was set up we were getting 26 Mbps over wifi which is acceptable, Should I complain again or can anyone give advice on how to improve my wifi download speed (interestingly uploads seem to fare ok over wifi - I'm getting 6 Mbps.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 20-Apr-11 16:11:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Think yourself lucky!!
I get 37 Mbps over ethernet with infinity option 2, paltry 10 mbps over wifi. I called them and they said wifi causes that at peak times and nothing I can do about it except connect wired which far from ideal since my main telephone point and broadband connection point is in my hallway.
when it was set up we were getting 26 Mbps over wifi which is acceptable, Should I complain again or can anyone give advice on how to improve my wifi download speed (interestingly uploads seem to fare ok over wifi - I'm getting 6 Mbps.

I'm having the exact same problem as this guy, Can anyone shine some light on this? Its really annoying me.

My Router is right next to my Laptop. When i do a scan with Speedtest.net, it works out that im getting anywhere from 30-45mb/s but on my laptops and PS3's im only getting 10MB, Not a KB more.

At the start i was getting 25-30 mb on my laptops and ps3's. But its dropped massively, They have sent me a new router which made no difference. Is there a settings i can change in the router to stop this? Also i have tried all of the channels and changed the interface type also. But still no difference.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 20-Apr-11 16:22:48
Print Post

WiFi problems are NOT an ISP issue. the ISP is providing a 37Mb service to the router/hub. The only time the ISP would be involved is if the router developed a fault on the wireless side - which is very unlikely.

Have you checked for other WAPs on the same channels?

Have you accidentally set the router or to limit itself to 11Mb (802.11b)?

Does it improve if you are close by?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 10-Oct-11 22:29:35
Print Post

Hi - hope someone can help?

I too have just had BT infinity installed in my house. However, I jump online using my android phone quite regularly using wifi. Previously, my old BT home hub the wifi was really good and it hardly ever dropped out whilst in the house but since having infinity installed it's acted a bit odd with my phone. For example, whilst surfing on my phone the wifi will be fine for 4 - 5 minutes and then suddenly I would get the old "can't display webpage" message. However, the wifi signal still seems to be strong and it doesn't seem to make any difference if I'm sitting right by the hub. To kick start it again I have to turn wifi off on my phone then turn it back on again. It'll be okay for another few minutes then same thing will happen.

My son uses his ipod like me but doesn't appear to have the same issues. However, it's definitely only been like this since having infinity installed.

Getting very frustrating - any help would be gratefully received (in lamens terms).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to