Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User uggy
(newbie) Tue 23-Nov-10 09:59:15
Print Post

Open DNS settings on router BT Home Hub2

[link to this post]

Last night I asked Mr Saffron for some help. He kindly pointed me to the forum so I hope that I have come to the correct place.

What I want to try is this.In Computer Active/Webuser and some other mags it states you might get some extra speed by using open DNS both in the windows software and the router.

I e-mailed BT to ask how to do this on their Home Hub2 and as usual I got a gentleman from a far place who telephoned me even though I have asked many times to answer by e-mail so that I have a record of the answers.

He stated categorically that I could not change the settings as I am a residential user not a buisiness user. I think and so does Mr Saffron that the gentleman has not understood my question or I did not frame it correctly. Can any one please help? Thank you.

D .Hughes
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 23-Nov-10 11:48:00
Print Post

Re: Open DNS settings on router BT Home Hub2

[re: uggy] [link to this post]

They have the answer bang-on, but in an extremely unhelpful way.

You can't change the DNS servers used by the Home Hub 2.

You can, however, change the DNS used on each computer you have. I'll not post how to do this, google will be your guide here.

Personally, I've tried OpenDNS and wasn't a massive fan - the capture of typo'd addresses is something I don't like. Try it and see, it's easy enough to change back if you don't like it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Nov-10 12:46:01
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Not read the magazine article, but openDNS should really only improve the times to convert (resolve) the hostname e.g. www.thinkbroadband.com to its IP address

The reason it improves site load times, is because so many sites have multiple hosts used, i.e. one image on one server, a small script off on another etc, e.g. going to www.bbc.co.uk/news can result in 8 or 9 DNS lookups.

If changing to openDNS boosts file downloads from 3Meg to 5Meg, then something very odd was going on with the connection.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 26-Nov-10 08:20:33
Print Post

www.opendns.com has forums, FAQs, videos etc.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 06-Mar-11 13:03:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by uggy:
Last night I asked Mr Saffron for some help. He kindly pointed me to the forum so I hope that I have come to the correct place.

What I want to try is this.In Computer Active/Webuser and some other mags it states you might get some extra speed by using open DNS both in the windows software and the router.

I e-mailed BT to ask how to do this on their Home Hub2 and as usual I got a gentleman from a far place who telephoned me even though I have asked many times to answer by e-mail so that I have a record of the answers.

He stated categorically that I could not change the settings as I am a residential user not a buisiness user. I think and so does Mr Saffron that the gentleman has not understood my question or I did not frame it correctly. Can any one please help? Thank you.

D .Hughes

I have had this same problem and used the method as per this link
http://www.punj.co.uk/punjwebfiles/telecom/bbrouterp...
and
http://punj-technology.blogspot.com/2011/02/using-op...

Requires additional cheap hardware but you can use opendns by disabling DHCP on the BT HH and enabling it in the slave router. The slave router then provides DHCP and you set the opendns setting in there.
As you are still using the BT HH BT support will still help if you have problems with your BB.
I had to call them recently when i was having some problems with BT Vision and had no problems with support.

Works great for me
  Print Thread

Jump to