Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 30-Dec-10 13:45:13
Print Post

RJ11 to RJ45 connector

[link to this post]

I need to move my ADSL router to somewhere discreet as the wife doesn't want it in the hallway next to the telephone which is located near the BT master socket and a pair of RJ45 sockets carrying cat5e cable. One option I've considered is to connect the ADSL cable from the microfilter into one of the RJ45 sockets (cat5e cabled) and then at the other end, connect the cable to my ADSL routers WAN socket. I'd need RJ11 to RJ45 convertor cables such as this or one of these (but which one?) at either end of the connection.

That's the theory, but would it work in practice as a way of distributing broadband around the rest of the network? Are there any risks and/or pitfalls with this approach?

TIA

Johno
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 30-Dec-10 14:25:49
Print Post

Re: RJ11 to RJ45 connector,

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

rj11 plug will fit in rj45 socket so that is an easy option rather than try to find convertor cables, just make sure all 4 pairs are wired on rj45 as when rj1/adsl is connected in that way it uses pins 4/5 on rj45 cable
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Dec-10 17:19:00
Print Post

Re: RJ11 to RJ45 connector

As Anon says, RJ11 fits RJ45 so you just need to plug in an RJ11 lead from the microfilter to the RJ45 socket and then another lead at the other location to connect to the router.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User elevator
(regular) Thu 30-Dec-10 18:02:48
Print Post

watch out for your second option somewhere in the distant past I sure I remember these been confiqured difernt for diferent patchs back at the main pannel
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 30-Dec-10 21:27:17
Print Post

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

Thanks for the feedback guys

I might just make my own cables with the solid core cat5e that I have left over.

I've read elsewhere that plugging an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 socket can possibly damage the socket
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Dec-10 23:08:49
Print Post

Load of tosh about damaging the socket, they are the same modular family.

Just make sure the RJ11 plugs are for solid core cable, most are not, would prolly be a better option to get premade leads if you don't have them already.

Dave
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 31-Dec-10 09:09:35
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:

Exactly, and I believe they were actually designed that way specifically to allow 4 way plugs into 4, 6 and 8 way sockets and 6 way plugs into 6 and 8 way sockets. Many years back I came across an 8 way plug and socket with an offset key which also allow the four easy to plug in but to connect to teh four contact on one side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Dec-10 09:17:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MMJ they were called IIRC, a favourite of DEC terminals

Dave
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 04-Jan-11 17:11:42
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:

A bit of google research backed up with advice from an experienced professional does suggest that plugging an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 socket will bend the connecting pins excessively, possibly damaging the socket.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jan-11 17:15:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by joconnell:
A bit of google research backed up with advice from an experienced professional does suggest that plugging an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 socket will bend the connecting pins excessively, possibly damaging the socket.
Can you provide a link?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to