Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User coffindodger
(newbie) Thu 06-Jan-11 10:54:09
Print Post

WiFi

[link to this post]

There is a free WiFi router in my area and I used to be able to pick up/use it. I got adventurous and tried to find out exactly where it was located so I could adjust my aerial on my wireless card. I did find it and a webpage that allowed me access to the router after putting in a user name and password. I looked at the page, then exited. Now it doesn't show up on my WiFi signal anymore. Does anybody know how to gain access to it again if there is no signal being transmitted, without having to reset the router manually, (Pushing reset button) as I still don't know where it is.
The page I navigated to is - http://192.168.0.1/CA_HiddenPage.htm - which is now inaccessible.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:01:33
Print Post

Re: WiFi

[re: coffindodger] [link to this post]

What do you mean by "free"? "Unprotected," perhaps? Why not talk to the owner of the router?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Windows Vista Sir?"
"No thanks, I'd rather shove wasps up my nostrils!" .
Mick's Blog | Greasemonkey scripts
(newbie) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:16:03
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

By free, I mean that it is an open access router. Unprotected is what you could call it I guess. I don't know who the owner is or where it is located, but it must be fairly close if I could pick up the signal from my home. The SSID of it was a giveaway. It showed up as 'freeinternetforyou'. So I took this to mean that it was free internet for me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:37:23
Print Post

If it has vanished, either the router has been shutdown, turned off, moved or is no longer free tongue

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
(newbie) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:45:58
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Very possible, but it seemed to coincide with me being on the page I mentioned above and then exiting the page. I think that somehow there was a default setting on the page with something set and when I exited it loaded them and disabled it.
I have a WiFi locator program and it used to show up on it along with my neighbours Sky, BT Home Hub, etc... and also in the utility window for my wireless card along with the neighbours BB setups.
I think I killed it and there are some p***** off people now that used to use it. I believe that once the owner realises that it has been unconfigured, they will reset it and all will be back to normal. It has gone offline before on occasion, (not by my hand) and returned. I hardly used it as the signal strength would only average about 80%.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:47:47
Print Post

Err, http://192.168.0.1/CA_HiddenPage.htm is a private IP address, non-routable, so is probably on your own network. Sounds like you're giving away internet access to others.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
(newbie) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:58:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The IP address, 192.168.0.1 is, or was, the netgear router address. I used to be able to ping it and it would show as being supplied by carphonewarehouse/talktalk. This isn't my provider, so it's not my network. There are 2 computers in my home and this isn't the IP of either of them.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jan-11 12:02:18
Print Post

That address is not routable so the only way to access it is if it is on your own network, or if your network is wrongly configured.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User gmoorc
(regular) Thu 06-Jan-11 12:33:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
That address is not routable so the only way to access it is if it is on your own network, or if your network is wrongly configured.

I'm assuming that the OP is using the wifi on their laptop to connect to someones wireless router so not using their own network at all? Just like a hotspot.
They'll get an IP allocated and off they go.
(newbie) Thu 06-Jan-11 12:51:54
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:

I'm assuming that the OP is using the wifi on their laptop to connect to someones wireless router so not using their own network at all? Just like a hotspot.
They'll get an IP allocated and off they go.

Yes, that's the way it is/was.
I found it by accident. I'm an I.T. tech and work from home on occasion. I was repairing a laptop with a wireless built in and it showed up. I then tried it with my GF's laptop and it worked as well. I then put a wireless card in my base PC and it worked also.
It came in handy when there was an interruption, which happens to us all, on my normal service provider.

Edited by coffindodger (Thu 06-Jan-11 12:53:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to