Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 13-Jan-11 18:35:53
Print Post

D Link, BT broadband...and pain!!

[link to this post]

My BT broadband works fine with by Homehub. But its a homehub so its being replaced. I picked up a D Link modem as a starter (DSL 320B). It comes preloaded with most the settings for BT. Only had to add the username and password. WHich given I've tried a dozen versions, including that given to me by BT, will seem a bit more odd in a moment.

Thw web interface on the modem claims the net is up and running, all diagnostics passed, including authentication regardless of what the username or password happens to be.

But no net connection. Ping from the attached PC gives me "net unreachable". Its not the PC setting as if I ssh into the modem I get the same if I try to ping anything on the net including the gateway its supposed to be connected to. And if I look at the stats there are plenty of packets and data moving on the LAN but zero - utterly zero - on the WAN.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this as I'm going round the twist now.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Thu 13-Jan-11 19:32:47
Print Post

Re: D Link, BT broadband...and pain!!

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thw web interface on the modem claims the net is up and running, all diagnostics passed, including authentication regardless of what the username or password happens to be.

presuming this is a bt home (not office) connection that is correct, it is authenticated by the 'line' ie the physical 'phone line connection.

I suspect your pc's default gateway is incorrect, ensure you are using dhcp rather than assigning a fixed address to it. (and restart the pc)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 13-Jan-11 20:01:26
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I wondered if that was the case - there's just such a faf at BT with what the log in details should be. If only they just came clean about it.

If the PCs gateway is incorrect would I not still be able to ping from the modem (after ssh'ing into it)? At the moment it gets the same result - net unreachable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User coffindodger
(newbie) Tue 18-Jan-11 08:52:18
Print Post

Could it possibly be that there isn't an open port allowed by the firewall?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 09:08:58
Print Post

BT residential don't use passwords and the username is generic and pre-loaded in the hardware they supply - bthomehub@btbroadband.com for example

Check that the thing gets a WAN IP from its GUI

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Jan-11 12:03:45
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks for the further info.

If the modem itself is allegedly connected but can't ping anything on the net would it not bypass any firewall on the PC or similarly ports?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Jan-11 12:25:27
Print Post

Have you checked to actually see that the IP address and other information handed to the router by the authentication layer actually make sense for a BT Total connection?

It is possible the authentication is taking you to a walled garden, rather than actual internet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Jan-11 12:34:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The gateway seems to be the same, as does the DNS handed to it as well. The only thing that changes is my IP, but then its dynamic IP so it's no surprise I guess. The modem's internal config says its connected and authenticated etc. It is officially driving me mental now!! BT no help, D-Link very little help.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Jan-11 12:37:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Potentially a stupid question but does the modem need "trained"? I remember the original hub needing to be left for a period of time to work, and in certain command line reports on the new modem it mentions training but not really anything abuot it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Jan-11 12:56:46
Print Post

Gateway inside the modem, i.e. what BT is handing out

Or what the modem is handing to the PC?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to