Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User umernalla
(committed) Wed 19-Jan-11 14:50:33
Print Post

Use Bridged mode to replace homeplugs + ethernet switch?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Done some googling but still not sure I fully understand this so apologies if this is a dumb question.
I currently have an Netgear ADSL Wifi router plugged at the front of the house which is connected to a Homeplug.
At the other end of the house I have a Homeplug which is then connected to a Gigabit switch for sharing the ADSL internet with my wired devices (and to allow the wired devices to connect to each other at Gigabit speed)
Now, I want to do away with the Homeplugs and Gigabit switch and was wondering; if I get a Wireless Gigabit router such as the TPLink TL-WR1043ND and set that to bridge mode would that be a workable alternative? ie the TPLink would connect wirelessly to the NetGear ADSL, then allow my wired devices to share the internet connection but at the same time allow my wired devices to connect to each other at Gigabit speeds?
Thanks in advance!
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jan-11 16:14:20
Print Post

Re: Use Bridged mode to replace homeplugs + ethernet switch?

[re: umernalla] [link to this post]

Possibly would work but bridge mode can be a pain and not all kit will work with each other. You are limited to the speed of the wireless connection even if it did work, the homeplugs are generally a better option for that sort of thing.

Dave
Standard User umernalla
(committed) Wed 19-Jan-11 18:56:18
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Thanks - shame about that. Thought I had found a good way forward.

The Devolo homeplug I have performs really poorly on an extension socket - forcing me to use a badly needed wall socket - causing all sort of mess.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 19-Jan-11 19:03:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by umernalla:
The Devolo homeplug I have performs really poorly on an extension socket - forcing me to use a badly needed wall socket - causing all sort of mess.
I've found that they work better on 13A multiway adaptors (this sort of thing), and it effectively gives you your wall socket back.

They don't really like extension leads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User umernalla
(committed) Wed 19-Jan-11 19:06:05
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Cheers will try one of those - but the Homeplug looks ugly enough - not sure what the missus will think of a multiway plus homeplug!
I know Devolo now have a new range with built in socket - but too expensive to upgrade..

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jan-11 19:08:15
Print Post

Why not use an Ethernet cable?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User umernalla
(committed) Wed 19-Jan-11 19:17:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Used to have ethernet cables - but they kept failing every 9-12 months - forcing a lifting of carpets, door bars, laminate flooring edging etc each time. Too much grief from the missus. Even tried the flat ethernet cable - lasted even less time!

Might just have to sell my Devolo's on Ebay and upgrade to the new ones....

Edited by umernalla (Wed 19-Jan-11 19:19:39)

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jan-11 19:18:27
Print Post

Sounds like you laid them on the floor and walked on them. Would you walk on mains cables too?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User umernalla
(committed) Wed 19-Jan-11 19:21:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

they mostly went round the wall edges but at some points they had to go under a door bar - that was probably the damage point.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jan-11 19:22:36
Print Post

Is there no alternative - round the outside for example?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to