Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jan-11 18:31:01
Print Post

Re: My First Router - how do I choose?

[re: steamage] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steamage:
I'm on the point of signing up for a Broadband service after years of dial-up, largely so that I can work from home. I'm probably going to go with PlusNet.
Are you sure Plusnet is your best bet? What exchange are you on?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 19-Jan-11 18:50:02
Print Post

As Batboy suggests it's a good idea to check what's in your exchange (even if it is rural)

Use this link to Samknows and post the results for some ideas re. an ISP smile

As for a router get a Netgear (wireless) with a Broadcom chipset either 2nd hand off ebay or if money isn't an issue a brand new spanker out of a sealed box, probably the best thing to do if you are going to use it for work as well as leisure.

Gwain
Standard User iand
(experienced) Sun 23-Jan-11 18:13:50
Print Post

cheap and chearfull...

I am using a TD-W8960N for about 40-50£ delivered., or pick an Netger DG8xxx from ebay. Just about any ADSL router will do the job for you

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobdelamare
(newbie) Sun 23-Jan-11 18:34:51
Print Post

I am using PlusNet supplied Thomson 585v7. My main PC is connected by ethernet wire for speed. My backup PC connects by wireless as does my printer to cut down on the wire tangle in my office. My Set-top satellite TV box downstairs is also connected by ethernet wire to access BBC iPlayer, as it has no wireless but my media centre PC behind the TV is using wireless. My Android phone also connects by wireless.

All five will work at once quite happily although obviously sharing the connection slows down the speed for all.

Only problem I find after a year or so is that the router crashes more and more frequently. It used to be once in a blue moon but now more like once a fortnight. It gets extremely hot but I'm told this is normal.

Hope my experience helps. PlusNet customer service is excellent, far, far better than any other I've tried over the 15 years or so I've been using the internet.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Jan-11 19:12:51
Print Post

[re: bobdelamare] [link to this post]

It gets extremely hot but I'm told this is normal.

Try lifting one end up a few cms and support it so it stays that way, the air will circulate through it better.

Someone has their's standing on end but I would have thought it might be unstable like this, maybe there is something behind it stopping it from falling over grin

Alastair

omadasafisho
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to