Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 2pods
(regular) Wed 26-Jan-11 13:59:05
Print Post

Gigabit Ethernet

[link to this post]

I currently have a Draytek Vigor 2600G router feeding a QNAP TS101 (running slimserver), a WD World NAS, my desktop, and a devolo AV200 power line adaptor.

This links up with the same AV200 downstairs (feeding a Netgear 5 way switch for a Humax Foxsat, Sony BR player, and an Xbox360, with a spare socket for any laptops), and the same AV200 model in the next room feeding another desktop.

There are also a Squeezebox 3, a Wii, and a HP C7280 all connected by wifi G.

As both the QNAP and the WD have gigabit adaptors built in, and backup is slow, would there be any advantage in changing the old router to something like
Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router , and fitting a gigabit card in the desktop ?

I'm thinking yes, but what about the AV200s and the switch ? Obviously I could change to a gigabit switch, but say I fitted a gigabit (I'm getting tired typing that word smile ) card adaptor to the laptop connecting to the said switch, would I see an inprovement in speed through the AV200s ?

TIA

ZeN 8000 Lite
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 26-Jan-11 16:14:50
Print Post

Re: Gigabit Ethernet

[re: 2pods] [link to this post]

The AV200s will max out at 200Mbits so you may see a slight improvement but probably not noiceable.

Keep the Draytek 2600G and install a new gigabit switch behind it and connect everything to that. That allows the Draytek to modem/router to concentrate resources on key functions and feed the switch - the Draytek to switch can be 100Mbit as line will not provide anywhere near that.

If you want faster speeds downstairs, can you find a way to secrete a single cat5e/cat6 cable? and then upgrade that switch if you feel the need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 2pods
(regular) Wed 26-Jan-11 20:44:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying.
By "behind the draytek" do you mean connecting a switch to one of the router's ethernet ports, then plug the two NAS and desktop into the gigabit switch ?

ZeN 8000 Lite

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Jan-11 21:05:19
Print Post

Yes

Dave
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 27-Jan-11 08:48:35
Print Post

Yes - just use one of the Draytek ports to connect to a Gbit switch and leave the rest unused the connect NAS drives desktop and others into the switch. Let the switch do the work it is designed to do all the Draytek will do is then provide access to the rest of the world, firewall, DHCP server and a few activities.

M H C

Standard User 2pods
(regular) Thu 27-Jan-11 11:01:15
Print Post

Thanks.

I think I may have to change the Draytek when our exchange goes 21N/WBC anyway though, as I'm not certain it will be up to ADSL2+

ZeN 8000 Lite
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 27-Jan-11 11:11:31
Print Post

If you do and the new device has Gbit ports still use the switch as it will perform a lot better and not load the modem/router.

M H C

Standard User 2pods
(regular) Thu 27-Jan-11 11:21:17
Print Post

Will do.

I won't replace my old faithful 2600G until I have to anyway
smile

ZeN 8000 Lite