Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pgerrish
(member) Tue 01-Feb-11 22:33:15
Print Post

Extend wireless LAN with Powerline wireless point?

[link to this post]

Have Linksys WAG200G ADLS Wireless (802.11g WPA security) router. Linked into router is a Powerline connection (Solwise AV 200 series) to take the signal to distant room works fine. I want to extend the wireless coverage with wireless access point to deal with dead spots at extreme end of house and wish to use the Powerline connection to get the connection to the router. I would like to use the new access point with the same SSID, WPA authentication as existing wireless router but would like to use a 802.11n point.

1. Can anybody help with what I am sure to many some simple questions I would be very grateful ( I am aware I will need to assign a IP outside the router DHCP allocation range but on same subnet to new Wireless point)
2. Can I just add a Solwise . Home Plug AV Ethernet Adaptor with 11n WiFi or do I need to use something like this specific wireless Aztech NET-WL556E Wireless extender? Do I need to be concerned with WDS?
3. Can I set this up to use the same SSID and WPA etc.. at the two wireless connections (assuming the second is connected via Poweline to the router) so user only has to join one network?
4. Does it matter that one is g and one is n. Do they have to use the same channel if using same SSID and WPA Passkey?
5. Does it matter if signals overlap?

Paul
Sheffield UK
-------------------------------
Part of Pipex exodus across the MAC sea to promised land of Zen
Zen 8000 Active + Linksys WAG200G
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 01-Feb-11 22:47:09
Print Post

Re: Extend wireless LAN with Powerline wireless point?

[re: pgerrish] [link to this post]

If you use powerline to connect from the ADSL router to the remote access point you don't need WDS and any old AP will do.

Not sure why you want to use n, in its higher bandwidth modes it stampls over two lots of channels so isn't a very good neighbour.

Use non overlapping channels (1,6, 11 or similar) with the same SSID and security and roaming should be seamless and overlaps won't matter.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User pgerrish
(member) Tue 01-Feb-11 23:16:05
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks. Reason for n is a number of laptops in that area have n connection and that area of quite large house has thick walls. from what you say I can just plug an AV Wireless Point in set the same SSID, WPA etc as main router.. and should all work.

Paul
Sheffield UK
Part of Pipex exodus across the MAC sea to promised land of Zen

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 02-Feb-11 00:09:01
Print Post

n has no more ultimate range than g

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Feb-11 08:12:42
Print Post

Not sure if you can jump between wireless points which are running different standards (ie a,b,g,n). The laptop should connect to the strongest WAP if the SSIDs are the same but if you move the laptop whilst it is connected it may not automatically switch from the g to the n and vice versa.

Edited by ian72 (Wed 02-Feb-11 13:40:15)

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 02-Feb-11 11:55:46
Print Post

I do something similar in my house. Some points,

My reading is that you have a wired-only homeplug in place, and you want to change this for the wired-and-wireless one you linked to? Seems like a good plan.

Turn off any DHCP that is being done by the homeplug AP.

Using the same SSID and Key as on the router will let you roam near-seamlessly. (you might drop one or two pings during a ping -t and a walk between areas)

I would avoid WDS. It's a horrible solution that is rarely compatible between different devices, and even if it does work is using the wireless for transmit-receive-retransmit, so the performance is pretty poor.
Standard User pgerrish
(member) Wed 02-Feb-11 16:43:32
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

many thanks for the replies. Seems matter of just plugging in to end of AV Powerline, turn off DHCP on new AV Wireless Point and putting in same SSID and WPA key. Guess will try it.

thanks

Paul
Sheffield UK
  Print Thread

Jump to