Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tony_2005
(learned) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:07:47
Print Post

ICS and Sony Bravia

[link to this post]

Hi there,

After much searching over the web and pain staking attempts at trying to get my TV online I thought I would ask for some help!

My current setup is:

Belkin wireless router which is wirelessly hooked up to my desktop PC upstairs. I now want to share that connection from my PC to my TV (Sony Bravia EX503) which is located right next to it.
I refuse to pay the £60-70 for the Sony wireless dongle so was hoping I could share the internet connection via wire from PC to TV. I am rather confused as to what IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary and secondary DNS I should be assigning to the TV.

I currently have the router set to IP: 192.168.2.101 and the PC is currently 192.168.2.4.

My apologies if I have missed any information in my initial post! I really hope someone out there can help me!

Many thanks in advance

Tony

Cheers Tony
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:22:40
Print Post

Re: ICS and Sony Bravia

[re: Tony_2005] [link to this post]

Generally speaking, I would suggest you set up the router to use DHCP to hand out your IP addresses, and set the clients to also use DHCP.

If you really want to go manual, and assuming you don't already have a device using the address 192.168.2.5,

IP 192.168.2.5
SM 255.255.255.0
DG 192.168.2.101

PRI DNS 192.168.2.101
SEC DNS - leave blank.

That will get the TV present on your LAN, and (hopefully) able to connect outwards too.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:27:48
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Not sure it is that simple due to the mention of ICS in the subject title.

How is the Internet getting to the PC?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tony_2005
(learned) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:34:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Shtu, I have given those settings a go with no luck, LAN nor internet. I also have DHCP on with my router, just auto doesnt seem to be getting me anywhere so presumed manual would be the way to go.

The internet is wirelessly getting to the PC with a wireless PCI card. I am then allowing other network users to connect through that connection hoping that the LAN will share to the TV.

The TV is showing that the cable is there and connected, as is the PC. It just doesnt seem to be communicating.

Many thanks
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:35:00
Print Post

Set the PC to share the Wireless connection and then run a wire from the ethernet port to the ethernet port on the TV

This may need to be a crossover cable.

Allow the tv to get an IP address automatically via DHCP and all will work.

Essentially this set up turns the PC into a router with DHCP server on the ethernet port.

If you wish to set up a link to the TV from elswhere in the network you will need to set a static route on the router (typically to 192.168.0.0/24) to go via the PC's IP address, and turn off the windows firewall (which will be a security risk)

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:35:25
Print Post

Is the TV Internet enabled? Or are you just trying to use the TV as a display for the stuff you are streaming/downloading on the PC?

If the latter, then the TV won't be on the net at all and won't need ICS, the router or an IP addy.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:39:52
Print Post

What operating system is on the PC?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:50:40
Print Post

Personally I gave up using ICS years ago, it is problematic to use.

Bridging can work better, but at the end of the day Windows will always be a kludge.

A wireless ethernet bridge device with built in four port switch (probably around £50) will do the job and mean the PC need not be on to have internet on the TV.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-av-3pe.htm is another option, which is usually simply plug and play

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tony_2005
(learned) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:52:15
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

On using the manual settings as above I seem to still end up down the dead end of no local nor internet connectivity.

I have tried auto again and notice that the TV is now present in "Network" on my PC but it is not showing in the DHCP client list on the router (checked for MAC address).

I am running Vista 64-bit with firewall disabled. I have set both wireless and wired networks to private.
It just looks as if TV will chat to PC now but that doesnt carry through to the router for internet.
Standard User Tony_2005
(learned) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:54:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have considered the homeplug system but was really seeing if I could get a solution to my problem without the need for additional hardware and sockets for that matter!

Its not a must get working thing just wanted to see if I could get it working really and see if I was missing anything
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to