Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 17-Feb-11 17:14:40
Print Post

One 100Mb port !

[link to this post]

Following on from Gigabit Ethernet reporting as 100 meg I have finished terminating mine here.

All of them register as Gigabit with transfer rates of around 700Mb - probably limited by the discs rather than the cabling. Except one circuit which terminates at a location where I have four individual sockets. That one will only work as 100Mb and the cables all follow the same route.

So, I remade the terminations at both ends, changed patch leads, changed sockets on the switch, tried a second PC all to no avail. Put a patch lead from that one to an adjacent socket and at the patch panel started to check continuity ... and what do I find? Continuity on 7 but on pin 2 - nothing! Somewhere the conductor has broken.

I decided I would have to live with it as running a new cable would not be easy.

Then, I was playing with the switch and found the cable test function - and yes it reported a problem with that one particular cable. What I was not expecting though was a comment that it was a specific distance from the switch. The switch actually has a Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR) built in but not mentioned in the documentation.

So, I now know where the problem is, but need to decide if I can locate the right cable in a bundle of 40 in trunking, under a floor and several metres from either end or do I live with it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User huwwatkins
(regular) Thu 17-Feb-11 18:03:16
Print Post

Re: One 100Mb port !

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

A cheap tone generator might be of help locating the cable.
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Feb-11 18:46:06
Print Post

Unless it's essential and relatively easy to get at, I'd be tempted to leave it.

Have had cables like that occasionally when testing stuff at work. In the couple of cables I've opened up I've found joints in the conductor from the manufacturing process which have failed.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 17-Feb-11 18:51:40
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

I believed I needed two connection, so planned for four. As it turns out I need three (so far) of which two need to be Gigabit - so I am tempted to leave it, but if later on I need a fourth Gigabit I will be stuck as changing it then will be impossible. If the TDR is correct for position, I could get a junction box in but ... can I guarantee it!

M H C

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Feb-11 19:50:56
Print Post

I work with TDRs all the time and you cant take what they say as gospel, if they put you within 10M then thats great - but especially on an internal network I wouldn't expect it to pinpoint exactly where the break is, you may be able to change a section of the cable out but then if you're going to do that you may aswell change it end to end (or run addiotional and leave broken cable for phone / spare 100m). Unless you can see the damage I would work around it.
Standard User huwwatkins
(regular) Thu 17-Feb-11 20:23:33
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If changing it later will be impossible i'd be tempted to do this now.
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Thu 17-Feb-11 20:40:26
Print Post

Then, I was playing with the switch and found the cable test function - and yes it reported a problem with that one particular cable. What I was not expecting though was a comment that it was a specific distance from the switch. The switch actually has a Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR) built in but not mentioned in the documentation.

what switch are you using? - I might get one to add to my toolkit... though I know some laptops also offer a cable test function.
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Thu 17-Feb-11 20:44:40
Print Post

So, I now know where the problem is, but need to decide if I can locate the right cable in a bundle of 40 in trunking, under a floor and several metres from either end or do I live with it?

I would label both ends of the cable before going any further, then live with it for the moment - unless about to install carpet or something which would further restrict access
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 18-Feb-11 00:37:13
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

It's a Cisco SRW2024

M H C

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 18-Feb-11 00:39:38
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have tried it from both ends and with different length patch leads. Allowing for everything it seems to put the failure point in much teh same spot each time ...

the cable will probably stay - if I have space I pay run an additional though, just in case.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to