Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User suestedmond
(newbie) Sat 19-Feb-11 19:16:28
Print Post

netgear broadband.

[link to this post]

hiya i got a advent modena m100 for christmas and it connects fine to upc broadband. but the house im living in has dgn 3500 and when i turn on computer it knocks off internet for everyone and the red light where the power icon turns red. has anyone got any suggestions as to wat the problem is
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 19-Feb-11 19:54:54
Print Post

Re: netgear broadband.

[re: suestedmond] [link to this post]

If I understand when you switch on your laptop the DGN3500 fails with a red power light. Are the units connected by cable or wirelessly?
Standard User suestedmond
(newbie) Sat 19-Feb-11 20:04:11
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

its wireless everyone else in the house can cannot fine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 19-Feb-11 20:07:47
Print Post

[re: suestedmond] [link to this post]

Can you switch off wireless on your laptop? If so, when you do this does the DGN 3500 still fail? If you move the laptop further away does the DGN 3500 still fail?
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 21:32:45
Print Post

Hello,

Im not familiar with that model of router, but the problem seems familiar to something i've seen once before. Basically the dgn3500 is tripping out when there are to many clients connected wirelessly using 802.11n (150-300mb connection speeds).

It seems to draw to much power in the high speed modes with lots of wireless clients. What I ended up doing was switching it to 802.11g (54mb).
Maybe its whats happening with you, ask who ever has access to the router to downgrade the wifi to 802.11g (54mb) and see if the problem continues
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:03:49
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

That would seem to account for the symptoms the OP is seeing. If so I'd say it's a bit of a design fault.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:06:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by john2007:
If so I'd say it's a bit of a design fault.
It's a Netgear... probably a marginal power brick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:15:55
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
If so I'd say it's a bit of a design fault.
It's a Netgear... probably a marginal power brick.

Still a design fault. Never had a problem with my DG834G.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:20:00
Print Post

Still a design fault.
True, but a meatier power brick would be an easy way to check it, if there's one around on another piece of kit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Feb-11 10:49:49
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
Hello,

Im not familiar with that model of router, but the problem seems familiar to something i've seen once before. Basically the dgn3500 is tripping out when there are to many clients connected wirelessly using 802.11n (150-300mb connection speeds).

It seems to draw to much power in the high speed modes with lots of wireless clients. What I ended up doing was switching it to 802.11g (54mb).
Maybe its whats happening with you, ask who ever has access to the router to downgrade the wifi to 802.11g (54mb) and see if the problem continues

A mate got a Belkin that does the same thing, i wonder if that have the same problem? He don't use it now as it was causing all sorts of problems with not allowing him to acess some sites and not allowing windows to update, I tried all ways, opening ports on the belkin, but gave up.
Anyway he had the problem that when someone else tried to connect the router would reset.

He got a old Netgear 834 just normal ADSL and it does a better job than the up to date Belkin.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
  Print Thread

Jump to