Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(member) Sun 20-Feb-11 16:30:16
Print Post

Homeplug to extend home network

[link to this post]

Looking to expand my home wired/wifi network to include my Sony Bravia TV.

The TV does not have a convenient ethernet connection near it; I drape a Cat 5 cable across the room, from another room, to use the TVs internet service at present.

So looking at a Homeplug setup to avoid chasing/carpet removal/replacement etc. Firstly I see that Develo make the kits but seem more expensive than others. Is this a case of the more you pay the more you get i.e. more reliable/less flaky than cheaper systems?

Secondly does the feed from the internet to the first homeplug need to come directly from the DSL router. The most convenient power socket is next to an ethernet socket that is itself fed from one of the ports from my Thomson TG784 router. Into this ethernet socket is plugged the Cat 5 cable that feeds my Netgear WAP. I would like to plug an ethernet splitter into this socket and plug the cable that feeds the Netgear into one side of the splitter and the feed to the first homeplug into the other; the second homeplug will be plugged into the other socket, of the double power faceplate, that supplies power to the TV. A short Cat 5 cable can then go from this homeplug into the ethernet socket on the TV.

Any advice please?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Feb-11 16:54:12
Print Post

Re: Homeplug to extend home network

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

Just bought these last week,they work brilliantly,and the cheapest place I could find was here.The BT Shop. http://www.shop.bt.com/products/devolo-dlan-200-av-p...
Standard User pokchop1st
(newbie) Sun 20-Feb-11 16:56:50
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Forgot to login re above

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Feb-11 20:58:13
Print Post

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

the Thomson TG784 is a five port router, so I am not too sure why you can not connect the Devolo Homeplug directly into the TG784.

How man ethernet ports does the WAP have?

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User athegn
(member) Sun 20-Feb-11 21:16:49
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply.

As I said the most convenient power socked is not near the Thomson; the Cat 5 from the Thomson to the ethernet socket near this power socket is some 10 feet from the Thomson on the other side of the room.

The WAP is in another room far from the Thomson and the TV so any port on that will be even more inconvenient.

I therefore need to consider using the most convenient power and ethernet socket.
  Print Thread

Jump to