Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 21-Feb-11 20:25:49
Print Post

4 pin RJ11 to RJ45 plug

[link to this post]

I've posted a similar topic to the above before and realise that I can plug an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 socket.

In fact I've done just that and managed to connect my broadband signal from the ADSL micro-filter into an RJ45 socket using the lead that comes with the ADSL router, and at the other end at the patch panel, I've patched to another port and then from the faceplate end of that port, have connected the router using another RJ11 lead. It all seems to work well with little or no drop off in speed so I'm very happy with it. The only issue I have with this is that four pins in the RJ45 socket are exposed because of the smaller width of the RJ11, and it's trickier to remove the RJ11 plug from the RJ45 socket - not a problem for me but a problem for the wife or anyone else who doesn't realise. So to make things easier, I want to make my own RJ11->RJ45 lead using a spare RJ11 ADSL modem connector, cut it in half and then terminate the cut ends with a crimped-on RJ45 plug.

I don't know the pin assignments, but I have used a LAN tester/continuity device to determine that only pins 3,4,5 and 6 of the RJ45 plug are used so surely it's a matter of just using the centre 4 pins of the RJ45 plug to crimp in pins 1-4 of the RJ11? Is that correct or am I overlooking something?

Edited by joconnell (Mon 21-Feb-11 20:26:20)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 21-Feb-11 20:29:31
Print Post

Re: 4 pin RJ11 to RJ45 plug

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

the centre two do the work

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 21-Feb-11 21:25:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 22-Feb-11 10:06:21
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

I cut a short length from one end of the RJ11 lead and crimped on an RJ45 and found that the pin signals had crossed-over, so I cut the cable again and crimped the RJ45 on the other way around, so it now works and I have a short (~6") lead from the filtered ADSL socket to an RJ45 socket.
  Print Thread

Jump to