Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Tue 22-Feb-11 21:18:51
Print Post

Issues with Edimax WiFi router

[link to this post]

This is an Edimax AR-7284WnA wireless router, which connects without problems to an ADSL enabled telephone line.

A wired Ethernet connection works without fault, but wireless keeps dropping every 30 seconds to a minute. Several completely different laptops have been tried, all with the same result. Signal strength is not an issue, as the fault occurs whether the laptop is 2ft or 20ft away. This is a rural location, no other WiFi or 2.4GHz signals are within range, and if a different make of wireless router is switched on and tried, continuous connection is established without fault. Firmware version is 1.0.6 (the most up-to-date available) which has been reloaded, but makes no difference. Wireless settings are currently at default, with no security enabled whilst troubleshooting.

Is this an inherent fault with the AR-7284WnA, as two of these same routers exhibit exactly the same problem? Maybe someone has non-standard settings which get round it?
Standard User BP1
(committed) Wed 23-Feb-11 14:34:08
Print Post

Re: Issues with Edimax WiFi router

[re: G0AOZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G0AOZ:
This is an Edimax AR-7284WnA wireless router, which connects without problems to an ADSL enabled telephone line.

A wired Ethernet connection works without fault, but wireless keeps dropping every 30 seconds to a minute. Several completely different laptops have been tried, all with the same result. Signal strength is not an issue, as the fault occurs whether the laptop is 2ft or 20ft away. This is a rural location, no other WiFi or 2.4GHz signals are within range, and if a different make of wireless router is switched on and tried, continuous connection is established without fault. Firmware version is 1.0.6 (the most up-to-date available) which has been reloaded, but makes no difference. Wireless settings are currently at default, with no security enabled whilst troubleshooting.

Is this an inherent fault with the AR-7284WnA, as two of these same routers exhibit exactly the same problem? Maybe someone has non-standard settings which get round it?

I would try using a different wireless channel on the router. I note you state that no other wireless router are local to you. I suspect that your wireless router is picking up some other interference.
In my house i can only get channel 2 and 8 to work continously.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Wed 23-Feb-11 17:53:07
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, should've mentioned before that I'd tried a couple of other channels with the same results. Whilst I don't possess a spectrum analyser, I'd doubt it's interference as other makes of wireless router work without fault here, and it's an electrically quiet location on most other frequencies that I can monitor.

Since my first post, I have tried reloading the only other firmware version available (1.0.5) but this makes no difference. Edimax technical is no help - just told me to reset the router!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BP1
(committed) Wed 23-Feb-11 18:15:32
Print Post

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, should've mentioned before that I'd tried a couple of other channels with the same results. Whilst I don't possess a spectrum analyser, I'd doubt it's interference as other makes of wireless router work without fault here, and it's an electrically quiet location on most other frequencies that I can monitor.

Since my first post, I have tried reloading the only other firmware version available (1.0.5) but this makes no difference. Edimax technical is no help - just told me to reset the router!

Which channels did you try ?

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Feb-11 18:18:44
Print Post

Hi, set the WiFi standard for only 802.11g it might give stability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11g

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Wed 23-Feb-11 20:29:03
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Couldn't remember which channels I'd tried, so just rechecked with 2, 5, 6, 8 & 11. No noticeable difference between any of 'em...

Tried setting it to 802.11g (only), also b, b/g, b/g/n, g/n and n. The only difference I noted was that when pinging the router from a laptop, the RTT was greater when it 'hiccupped' the lower the standard that was set, i.e. b was worst. Something is regularly causing it to 'hiccup' every 60 seconds. A majority of the time the 'hiccup' is usually 3 or 4 high RTTs (1 second or more) and a minority sees a 'Request timed out'.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Feb-11 10:45:09
Print Post

Couldn't remember which channels I'd tried, so just rechecked with 2, 5, 6, 8 & 11. No noticeable difference between any of 'em...

Tried setting it to 802.11g (only), also b, b/g, b/g/n, g/n and n. The only difference I noted was that when pinging the router from a laptop, the RTT was greater when it 'hiccupped' the lower the standard that was set, i.e. b was worst. Something is regularly causing it to 'hiccup' every 60 seconds. A majority of the time the 'hiccup' is usually 3 or 4 high RTTs (1 second or more) and a minority sees a 'Request timed out'.
Hi, is the router still under warranty can you return it as faulty?
If not cut your losses dump the Edimax AR-7284WnA and get a BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV on ebay.

http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=2Wire+2700HGV&_sa...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
  Print Thread

Jump to