Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Mar-11 09:43:24
Print Post

BT Voyager 2500/ connecting new devices

[link to this post]

Iím currently using a BT Voyager 2500 as a test router. Iím having trouble getting a laptop online. It connected to the network OK but is searching and searching for an IP address but getting nowhere. What am I doing wrong? Where on the user interface do I add a new device to my network?

Thanks

Sync: Was 8128 / 896 + kbps; now interleaved at 8096/896 kbps
IP Profile 7150 kbps
SNR Margin: 15-11.5 dB
Line Attenuation: 20.0 dB
SpeedTouch 585

I am approximately 930 metres from the exchange (straight line distance)
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Thu 10-Mar-11 10:29:04
Print Post

Re: BT Voyager 2500/ connecting new devices

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

Might sound a stupid question, but is DHCP enabled on the router?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Mar-11 10:41:36
Print Post

On routers you don't normally add a device unless

1. You have previously turned off the DHCP in the router
or
2. Have enabled MAC filtering

More likely is that while the device says its connected it may not really be, i.e. try with security turned off for a minute.

Also make sure the laptop is set to get its IP configuration automatically (DHCP).

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Mar-11 12:09:45
Print Post

The 2500v as supplied by BTr a few years ago is a very good router and still very useable today.
If you've bought it second hand then it's probably wise to reset the router to it's defaults via the pinhole at the back and start afresh. Use a wired ethernet connection, navigate to the router's setup pages and after the initial internet connection etc setup, go to the wireless section and ensure that it's enabled. Set the wireless channel to an arbitrary 11 and change the SSID to something that you will recognise. Leave wireless security disabled for now and save your settings.

Now fire up your laptop, scan for wireless networks, select yours and connect. If it connects OK, go back to the router setup and enable at least WPA security and use a passphrase with an absolute minimum of 8 mixed characters. Save the settings and return to the lappie. Rescan for networks (You may have to delete the previous non passworded connection), choose your network and connect. You will now be asked to supply the passphrase that you set within the router setup. It is case sensitive and must match exactly. Test for connectivity.
Your laptop device must be able to support whichever encryption routine that you use. For instance, if the lappie is WEP only capable, then you'll need to change the wireless encryption to WEP within the router's setup interface.

There are a few other tweaks that you should carry out including changing the default credentials for the router login and maybe, changing the wireless channel to a less crowded area so post back for more info even if everything seems to go OK.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Mar-11 12:23:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by ARD:
.......... It connected to the network OK but is searching and searching for an IP address but getting nowhere.....

It may even seem to get connected but I'll lay money that if you issue an IPCONFIG /ALL from a Command prompt, it will almost certainly return a 169.x.x.x IP address. This is what's known as an APIPA address that is set by network based systems when a real IP cannot be obtained via DCP for whatever reason.
The problem is that when this "fake" IP is allocated, most OS's give no warning that a problem has occurred and acts as if everything is hunky dory whilst for your purposes, it most certainly is not.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Mar-11 13:04:27
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Thanks for your detailed input but the issue was solved quite quickly as I noted below.

Sync: Was 8128 / 896 + kbps; now interleaved at 8096/896 kbps
IP Profile was 7150 kbps; now 7000 kbps
SNR Margin: 15-12.5 dB
Line Attenuation: 20.0 dB
SpeedTouch 585

I am approximately 930 metres from the exchange (straight line distance)
  Print Thread

Jump to