After posting quite a few times in this forum and getting loads of advice and help from you guys, I've decided to post a few pics and provide a few details of my experience setting it all up.
I've got 7 pairs of cat5e cabled in each of 3 bedrooms, one pair in each of two larger bedrooms near the TV point, and 2 pairs in the smallest bedroom-cum-office, one pair beside the BT phone point and 2 pairs in the lounge either side of the fireplace, one side where the TV lives. That hopefully covers most eventualities. The cabling node-zero is in the garage where they're all terminated at a patch panel as you can see in the pics.
My wife wasn't keen on having the ADSL router next to the telephone so I cut a small length off one end of the RJ11 cable and fitted an RJ45 plug at the other end, and did the same with the remaining piece of the ADSL router cable. You can see from the first pic (bit blurry I know) that I've connected the filtered ADSL signal directly into an RJ45 socket, then at the patch panel end, I've patched that to one of the sockets in the office into which I've plugged the other RJ11-RJ45 cable and then plugged that into the router. There's a slight drop in broadband speed, but the router is now out of the way and I can site it anywhere there's an RJ45 socket. You can see in the patch panel pic where port 3 is patched straight into port 10. All the other ports are patched into a 5 port Netgear switch which I'll probably replace with an 8 or 16 port switch as needs dictate in future.
I haven't yet tested the network throughput but Windows reports it as gigabit.
I did wonder about leaving plenty of slack cable in case the position of the patch panel needs to change when we get work done in the house (knocking through into the garage possibly) so I've left a few metres on each cable and coiled them up as neat as possible before terminating on the patch panel. There's cable routed in trunking coming from above the garage and through the wall near ground-level from the downstairs rooms.
As I said, I had lots of advice from other's in this forum but the one piece of advice I can give is that when terminting the cables at either end, get a decent quality IDC punchdown tool and a decent cable stripper - it'll make life much eaiser. Also, the IDC terminals on the patch panel
are at right angles and the panel is mounted in a hinged case
to make life easier when working on the terminations.
The backboxes I specified for the RJ45 faceplates are 35mm deep - if you;re getting an electrician to fit those, make sure they use a shorter screw to fix it to the brickwork (if solid wall), otherwise the screw might blow the plaster on the wall in the adjoining room (as happened to me). The RJ45 modules I used were low profile
that were easier to work with compared with other modules, and they were fairly cheap and good quality.
All in all I'm pleased with it, especially as I did the planning and termination myself, but my thanks to all those who offered advice and feedback, hopefully I'll be able to do the same for any future home network builders.