Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Mar-11 20:50:02
Print Post

PCIE WLAN recommendations

[link to this post]

Looking for a cheap n cheerful PCI Express(x1) WLAN(802.11g) card, any recommendations?

Will be running it on Windows 7 x64 and intend to use Windows own configuration rather than the manufacturers.

thx

Edited by RiffRaff (Mon 14-Mar-11 20:50:19)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Mar-11 23:29:23
Print Post

Re: PCIE WLAN recommendations

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

As far as brand etc is concerned, most of these cards are very similar but the one thing I would look out for is an extendable antenna.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Mar-11 23:49:30
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RiffRaff:
Looking for a cheap n cheerful PCI Express(x1) WLAN(802.11g) card, any recommendations?

Will be running it on Windows 7 x64 and intend to use Windows own configuration rather than the manufacturers.

thx
Hi, this cheap n cheerful TP Link PCIe wireless adapter card looks good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN781ND-150Mbps-W...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-11 23:05:27
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Yeah i went for that in the end, can't really argue for under a tenner delivered. Doesn't seem to be many other PCIE cards about anyway.

I actually already have 2 WLAN PCI cards,`which whilst they can't fit in my PC due to no more PCI slots available, they helped me test the wireless capability of the O2 box II and coverage in my house, which was suprisingly good despite 8 other WLANs on discovery (though i went straight for manual channel selection).

The PCI cards are a Belkin and a D-Link. Both are old but the D-Link just won't get recognized by Windows 7 and D-Link stopped doing drivers for it at XP. The Belkin on the other hand was picked up by Vista and Windows 7 and was configured with WPA in seconds off the O2 box .Hoping the TP-Link is as easy, no reason why it shouldn't be.

This was with the standard stubby antennas though I actually have a higher gain Buffalo (brand)Antenna i used with the above cards years ago on standby just incase, but no extra co-axial atm.

Print Thread

Jump to