Can anyone tell me what blindingly obvious setting I have missed that is preventing a pair of DG834GT's from talking wirelessly to each other? Even though someone on Netgear's own forum says it's "not supported", other folk *say* they have done so, so I'm inclined to believe it is at least possible...
I'm sure everyone is familiar with the scenario:
* Three or four PC's (of sufficiently old technology in a charity with sufficiently restricted funding to preclude adding wireless cards or USB dongles to each) need to connect to a LAN (for resource-sharing and Internet connection) but are physically separated by an internal partition (for which permission has been denied to drill through).
* These two routers have been acquired for the task (at a price the charity can afford!), the plan being to plug the PC's into one on one side of the partition, and plug the other into the LAN on the other side (in this instance, directly into the ISP's router -- a standard BT Business Broadband ADSL router/switch).
I updated the firmware on both (to 1.03.23). After failed experiments, I "upgraded" to DGTeam's revision of 1.03.22 (the build with the .023o ADSL driver).
> I started by trying to configure everything manually (providing DNS IP's, disabling NAT and DHCP, that sort of malarkey) but finally tried the advice of several people on these forums and set both routers to Modem-only mode. (Mainly this was a paranoia-check to ensure there aren't OS-only settings not accessible to the web front-end, but I've left both in this mode for ease.)
> In both of those modes I then tried the following:
> > I set the Advanced Wireless settings with Wireless Bridging set to Point-to-Point on both, Repeater With Client on both, and one Point-to-Point one Repeater. On each router, the only MAC listed is that of the other router.
> > With each of those three settings, I then tried:
> > > The SSId of each router was given a unique name, and when that didn't work, they were set to be same. (Security is Disabled, not even WEP at this point.)
So each method has been tried in every permutation. The devices have been powered down for long times between several of these attempts, there are no recognized connections or static routes to get in the way, and every other page has been scoured for interfering settings.
Every time set both routers to operate, there is no hint that they are trying to communicate by wireless. (Admittedly I haven't been religiously rebooting the routers every time, and I'm hoping lamely that I haven't happened across the only working solution and lost it because I failed to reboot that occasion.) They're still doing their basic switching function, because out of frustration with continually changing settings I've taken to daisy-chaining them and my machine can still see the Internet through both routers.
What's wrong with my diagnostic process? Is something wrong with my list of assumptions? Am I just an incompetent senile booby who shouldn't be doing this job any longer?
The truly annoying thing is that, just now, I don't even have access to a simple wireless-enabled device to ensure that the wireless adapter on both router is functioning at all, but I trust the provenance of the devices and have no particular reason to suspect that either is faulty.
(It's possible I exaggerate very slightly here, but I can't call to mind any other device that has wasted so much of my billable time that, in 20:20 hindsight, could have been invested in more appropriate kit -- even Taiwanese and Chinese "cheap-jack" products from ZyXel and Huawei have proven far superior devices in regard, but I'm not here to sell other companies' products so I'll try to keep my personal opinions out of it. Oops, too late!)
Thank you for reading this far -- I await any hints with bated breath...
"Yours, Cunfoozed of Wiltshire." =:-#