Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Mar-11 13:11:47
Print Post

How do I network my laserjet printer?

[link to this post]

I'm revamping my hardware and, in particular, am wanting to now network my printer rather than running it off a Windows XP machine. The printer's an old HP Laserjet 4M/Plus, so has a choice of interface, including a wired Ethernet 10BaseT, which I now want to use. The intention is to use my Netgear 4-port router to allow sharing of the printer between now two machines, one the WinXP machine and the other a Mac. I've tried deleting the existing printer driver in Printers & Faxes and have attempted to set up a new driver in the WinXP machine which will be of a network type, but I've been unable to make WinXP and the printer intercommunicate. Port 2 on the router is displaying orange, as opposed to green, which I think means that it's connected, at the physical level, at 10M bps or less, rather than 10/100M bps.

Anyone know what exactly I need to do to get WinXP and the printer to connect fully? Do I need to turn on printer sharing in WinXP? NetBIOS, or anything like that? (I'm not wanting to share the printer via the WinXP machine, I'm wanting to merely use the router as an Ethernet switch, ie. have the printer plugged into the hub in the router). Does the Laserjet itself require some manual pre-configuring to Ethernet mode? DHCP is turned on in the router but do I have to reboot (power cycle) the router in order to get the router to assign an IP address to the printer?
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 20-Mar-11 13:19:36
Print Post

Re: How do I network my laserjet printer?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

Here's one way:

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/win...

If you don't have an IP or Port name, perhaps you need to enable some form of network discovery on the XP machine. I had my HP printer setup on ethernet once. The problem I had was if I switched off the printer it caused problems with the printer being seen or not. In the end the answer was to leave it on all the time. As I don't use a printer often, the best setup for me was to use USB.

I would check your printer manual and see if it comes with a default IP, and whether you can change it suit the network/subnet, or perhaps there's a specific network setup routine. You might need to uninstall the printer and carefully read the installation instructions. Some printers prefer no connection until software installed and vice versa.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Mar-11 15:50:01
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Thanks. I don't think that 'academic' recommendation is what I need, as I think that what that describes is for a printer connection where the printer remains connected to a host computer. What I'm requiring is merely a shared printer, but not one which is on a print server. Instead, connection will be via the Ethernet hub in the router. So, correctly implemented, what I imagine would happen when you want to print from the WinXP machine or from the Mac is that you'd see the Laserjet in a Printer dialog in the appropriate machine and then you'd print from there. Instead of seeing the printer on, say, the LPT1 port, it'd now be a URL address. By so doing, and for printing purposes, the WinXP machine would probably never be aware of the Mac, and vice versa.

As an aside, the printer has got a JetDirect hardware plug-in module, on which the various types of connection ports are located. One of them's a 10BaseT, which is what I'm endeavouring to use. I've found the original Jetdirect Configuration Guide that came with this Laserjet printer way back in the 90s but methodologies have changed quite a bit in the interim, especially since routers with built-in hubs didn't exist back then, and so that Guide isn't of much help.

Edited by meditator (Sun 20-Mar-11 15:57:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 20-Mar-11 16:15:55
Print Post

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questiona...

Print a Self Test page by pressing buttons on the printer control panel. This will tell you a lot, including if the JetDirect is being detected, if it is already configured, etc.

In order to set the static network settings from the control panel, you need to know beforehand:

1. IP addr to be used;

2. SM (subnet mask)

3. GW (gateway)

If the JetDirect is configured to use DHCP, and there is a DHCP server available, much of the nitty gritty is done for you.

That might be a start.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Mar-11 16:44:28
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I was about to say that I've not anticipated needing a separate printer server, since the HP Laserjet I'm using has one built in, I think. That's basically what the JetDirect Interface is about, I believe.

By "control panel", do you mean the configuration panel on the printer itself? This printer never came with an IP address of its own, as far as I'm aware. I could conceive, however, that an IP address could be either dynamically assigned to the printer by the Netgear Internet router (using DHCP, which is enabled at present) or statically by me, in the router's control panel. In that instance, I'd imagine that the Gateway IP address would be that of the router, ie. 192.168.0.1. The printer is, of course, on the LAN, not the WAN (Internet).
Standard User GeeTee
(member) Sun 20-Mar-11 16:52:19
Print Post

Press Online to take the printer offline.

Press Menu until TEST MENU appears in the control panel display.

Press Item until SELF TEST appears in the control panel display.

Press Enter to print a Self-Test page.

Press Online to return the printer online.

The test page printed should show what the IP is and also what is enabled on the print server. These machines support HP's proprietary printing protocol, standard LPR IP network printing and AppleTalk. Between those you will be able to get it printing from both PC and Mac.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Mar-11 17:11:34
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Yes, GeeTee, I've been hoping from the outset that LPR IP networking would cater for both the Windows PC and the Mac.

When looking for the IP address in the printer's display panel as you've described, does the TCP/IP connection via the 10BaseT cable have to be in place? I presume it does, which kinda also implies that that connection is OK and working anyway. But what if, for one reason or another, the connection ISN'T working - how can the printer possibly know which IP address to assign to itself?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Mar-11 17:15:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
I don't think that 'academic' recommendation is what I need, as I think that what that describes is for a printer connection where the printer remains connected to a host computer...

It's exactly (with the exception of the shown IP address and drivers) what you need. The printer is NOT locally attached (ensure that the power & Ethernet cables are the only cables attached to the printer).
Before you follow the procedure, ensure that you have set a valid static IP address/subnet mask for your local network on the printer (you may have to RTFM), then follow the procedure, substituting the printer's IP address for the example IP address.

What I'm requiring is merely a shared printer, but not one which is on a print server. Instead, connection will be via the Ethernet hub in the router. So, correctly implemented, what I imagine would happen when you want to print from the WinXP machine or from the Mac is that you'd see the Laserjet in a Printer dialog in the appropriate machine and then you'd print from there.

If correctly implemented, the printer isn't 'shared'. As long as it's powered on, it'll be a standalone device, available to any other device on your network.

In Windows, it'll appear in your Printers list.

...but methodologies have changed quite a bit in the interim, especially since routers with built-in hubs didn't exist back then...

Routers and switches have existed since dinosaurs ruled the Earth. They haven't fundamentally changed their method of operation since then.

Good Luck!
Standard User GeeTee
(member) Sun 20-Mar-11 17:17:01
Print Post

It doesn't matter if the cable is plugged in or not. Those instructions just make the printer churn out a test page, included in which will be the IP address the printer currently has.

The printer may or may not have DHCP enabled - if it is then it will be assigned an IP by your DSL router, if not enabled the printer may well have a default IP address set. If this isn't in your LAN IP range then your PC & Mac will not be able to communicate with it at all.

First step is to get the test page printed and confirm the printer is on an IP in the correct range. If not change it to one that is.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Mar-11 17:36:17
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

GeeTee, I followed your simple instructions but when I pressed to get the Test Page, no such test page was printed. Nothing happened at all.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to