Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjgnet
(newbie) Mon 28-Mar-11 17:18:19
Print Post

Guest Access solution?

[link to this post]

Ok here's what I want to do. Have a shop with holiday flat above to which I want to provide guest wireless access. Currently have ISP supplied ADSL2 router which does not have guest network access facilities.

Yes I could replace the ISPís router. But not actual sure I want to at this stage. In somewhat of a negotiation with them!

I google'd for suitable replacement and was attracted to the Linksys E series routers which have very nice Guest network facilities. (Nice simple hotel style guest landing page and password), Plus (being Cisco) very configurable. But I think the are cable broadband only!

So my question is, could I connect one of these types of routers to a LAN port on the ISPís router and effectively use it as an Access point? I'd probably disable the wireless and DHCP in the ISPís router and let the Linksys do all of that. Creating a faster Secure Wired/Wireless LAN for the shop and an open guest wireless LAN for the flat. If so do I use the WAN port on the Linksys or one of the LAN ports?

Or is there a BT ADSL2 version of the Linksys Iím missing

Or an AP that anyone could recommend to do the same thing.

There is the possibility due to the property construction and layout, that whatever I use to provide the Guest access in the flat may have to be relocated to somewhere in said flat to provide adequate coverage. (Though I do see some Down sides, will discuss later)
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 17:41:45
Print Post

Re: Guest Access solution?

[re: sjgnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sjgnet:
So my question is, could I connect one of these types of routers to a LAN port on the ISPís router and effectively use it as an Access point?
Yes, you connect it to a LAN port.

.... Creating a faster Secure Wired/Wireless LAN for the shop
Connecting the guests in the way you suggest, will give them access to your shop network

You really need to put your shop network behind another firewall.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User sjgnet
(newbie) Mon 28-Mar-11 17:51:58
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Ok Yes I see you point attached it to the existing router!

If I ditched the ISP's router is there a linksys or something else that would give me the guest access I'm looking for.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(regular) Mon 28-Mar-11 17:58:26
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Routers with guest networks allow you to have 2 wireless networks total independent of each other so it the OP uses the main wifi/lan for what they like and then set a guest network up which is independent still giving internet access but blocking you from the other side of the lan. Or at least this is how my uncles virgin media super hub works that supports guest networks and usually you can also set different limits on the guest network. E.G. block specific things that wouldn't be blocked on the main wifi so keeps people on guest network from downloading things they shouldn't and so on.

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
[IMG]http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png[/IMG]

2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
Desktop 3 AMD Phenom 9500 2gig DDR2 677 500gig Sata2 HDD DVD-RW No specific os (test machine)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 17:59:57
Print Post

If I ditched the ISP's router is there a linksys or something else that would give me the guest access I'm looking for.
That's incorrect. The Linksys will work as you want.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User sjgnet
(newbie) Mon 28-Mar-11 18:03:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Whats incorrect? The E Series Linksys routers I think are all cable versions I have yet to find a BT ADSL2/2+ version.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 18:08:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Whats incorrect? The E Series Linksys routers I think are all cable versions I have yet to find a BT ADSL2/2+ version.
This is incorrect
Connecting the guests in the way you suggest, will give them access to your shop network

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User sjgnet
(newbie) Mon 28-Mar-11 18:12:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

This is incorrect

Ok in what way is this incorect? if the linksys is attached to one of the ISP's routers LAN ports the surely it must have access to anything attached to the other LAN ports on the ISP's router?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 18:15:52
Print Post

No, it will be on another network.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 19:25:47
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Routers with guest networks allow you to have 2 wireless networks total independent of each other
But that is not what the OP suggested.

You can not have two independent networks if you connect them LAN to LAN.

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Or at least this is how my uncles virgin media super hub works
Your uncle is on cable. The OP is on ADSL.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to