Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lass
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 22:12:41
Print Post

pocket pc

[link to this post]

Hi,
i'm new to the boards,so hope i am putting this on the right one?
does anyone have advice on security? i recently bought a pocket pc and have been trying to connect to the web with it, i mainly got for getting my emails so i don't have to switch my laptop on all the time, i finnally got the ppc to connect, but had to change my secrity slightly, i have an orange live box and the settings are as follows: wpa, wep, wpa or wep, no security, my 2 laptops are on wpa, the ppc is on wep, what i want to know is this: is having ''wpa or wep'' setting safe? does it mean that the laptops are still on wpa? are my laptops safe on this setting?
many thanks for any help,
chris.
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Mar-11 22:19:17
Print Post

Re: pocket pc

[re: lass] [link to this post]

WEP is seen as a pretty insecure method of securing wireless, WPA is the minimum.
Depending on the age of the PPC it may not be capable of WPA.

Dave
Standard User lass
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 22:37:21
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

thanks dave, i just want to know if my laptops are safe, when i look at the available networks on the laptop mine comes up saying it has wpa security, it's just that i have the setting on ''wpaorwep'' as long as my laptops are safe that's ok, i'll only be using the ppc once in a while, oh by the way---the ppc is an axim x5.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Mar-11 23:05:34
Print Post

WPA2 is advisable for all devices, if you can get it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User path6336
(member) Wed 30-Mar-11 09:57:19
Print Post

Generally you would have to change the router settings down to WEP for all attached devices if you want to connect one WEP device.

Some routers allow two separate Wifi ID's so you could have one running WPA and one running WEP (Draytek 2820 and Netgear - DGN2000 are one's that spring to mind)

With the Axim x5, it all depends on the CF wifi card you are using - there are very few around that do WPA security.

One other possibility is to bluetooth that Axim and use that to tether to a mobile with a data plan and access your e-mail that way.
Standard User audiodud
(newbie) Mon 04-Apr-11 19:29:03
Print Post

[re: path6336] [link to this post]

Some routers allow two separate Wifi ID's so you could have one running WPA and one running WEP (Draytek 2820 and Netgear - DGN2000 are one's that spring to mind)

Could I use either of those two routers to give me a separate "guest" connection that would also stop the guest user from seeing any other devices on the network? So just an internet connection and possibly configurable to stop the guest watching the iPlayer all day or downloading the complete set of Carry On films! Not sure who would though.
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Apr-11 19:49:40
Print Post

[re: audiodud] [link to this post]

Certainly you can with the draytek, however I am not so certain of the configuration options on the Netgear DGN2000.

On the Draytek you can set up too four separate Wireless network SSID's with options for wireless isolation (wireless clients cannot see other clients on the same SSID) and LAN isolation (wireless clients cannot see other LAN clients not on the same SSID as them).

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User audiodud
(newbie) Tue 05-Apr-11 09:55:56
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

On the Draytek you can set up too four separate Wireless network SSID's with options for wireless isolation (wireless clients cannot see other clients on the same SSID) and LAN isolation (wireless clients cannot see other LAN clients not on the same SSID as them).

Many thanks pmb00cs.

So presumably buying the Draytec is about the simplest and most secure way of achieving this outcome? I have managed to put a second wireless router on my network and given it it's own ssid, but you can always see the rest of the network through it which is not desirable.

Would the Draytec be a good performer on an O2 LLU package? I don't know what chipset it uses.
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Apr-11 18:57:31
Print Post

Certainly the Draytek offers the ability to do what you are asking about.

It also offers a sort of VLAN implementation. It isn't 802.1q compatible, but it does allow switchport separation, so you could, conceivably, add a network device to the built in switch and separate it from the rest of the LAN. That said I have not tested this functionality in any way on my Draytek, and only one of the ports is gigabit capable.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 21:59:58
Print Post

It's not really difficult to set up the cheap n cheerful ex ISP supplied routers that abound on eBay as a simple WAP. I'm currently using an old BT Home Hub for that purpose.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to