Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User haroldhetta
(newbie) Fri 15-Apr-11 20:54:00
Print Post

vdsl modem connection to a netgear adsl router???

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Iv have just migrated from plusnet adsl2 up yo 8mb (yeah ok 200kb per second if iw as luck) to the digitial regional network wich is basicaly fiber to the new green box and copper to my house.

The trouble is the supplied a bridged modem Cell pipe 7130. SO i now have to create a dial up using the supplied user name and password.

How can i connect this modem to my exsiting router so i can use the wireless and also log onto the net with out my pc being on.

Cheers
Dave
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Sat 16-Apr-11 09:51:58
Print Post

Re: vdsl modem connection to a netgear adsl router???

[re: haroldhetta] [link to this post]

I reckon all you need is to hook up the kit to the Cellpipe using cat 5, and your existing router becomes redundant. If you need more ports, a cheap switch is the way to go.

Chapter 5 is probably what you need,

http://202.129.32.62/training/CELLPipe7130.pdf

I don't think you need to configure any sort of dialup connection on the PC.

Of course, if you have all the settings from the ISP, or can access the Cellpipe's configuration to ge them, you could replace their router with one of your own?
Standard User logic1938
(newbie) Sat 16-Apr-11 10:15:18
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Hi.

I was going to ask the same question as OP, The Cellpipe router that is supplied by digital region, has no wireless function and only one cat 5 output. And running there own firmware.
I have the same issue( when i go live) 1 laptop, 1 desktop and a ps3 all hardwired, and i need wireless for mobile phones and when the laptop moves around.
I have emailed digital region on a number of occasions, and all they can tell me is " you can connecta a cable modem to the one cat 5 output"
Can it be as simple as this??
If so which is a good cable modem to purchase to fit my needs? around £100

Thanks in advance Russ

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Apr-11 13:09:12
Print Post

[re: logic1938] [link to this post]

That's how VDSL Fibre BB is supplied. The ISP supplies a VDSL modem with 1 Ethernet output which is connected to a Cable Router with an Ethernet input, which I would have thought the ISP also supplies. You then connect all your devices to that router, either Ethernet or wireless.

It is peculiar that the http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/ site is "404 Not Found".

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User logic1938
(newbie) Sat 16-Apr-11 15:48:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, Unfortumatley the ISP are not providing cable modems for there customers!

Could you recommend one? within the £100 ish budget.

I know they have been having issue's with the site, maybe it's time for a overhaul?!

Russ
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Apr-11 16:49:54
Print Post

I've no experience of cable routers but I'd consider a Netgear N150 WNR1000 or 2000 - about £40 on Amazon; cheaper on eBay auction.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 16-Apr-11 16:50:30)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Apr-11 13:35:14
Print Post

Yes all you need is a cable/DSL router. (The name cable modem is actually the wrong thing to look for)

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?... has lots of suitable models, and you'll find even the local computer stores stocking them, generally listed as suitable for cable services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to