Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 19-Apr-11 20:52:13
Print Post

WGR614v9 as a switch

[link to this post]

Hello all,

In order to improve LAN speeds around the house, I've ditched the Netgear Powerline hardware and had a length of CAT6 with faceplates installed from one end of the house (connected to a DG834G) to the other end (connected to a WGR614).

The problem is that my PC connected to the WGR614 cannot see my Netgear Stora or TimeCapsule connected to the DG834G, making the purpose of the cabling pointless.

The DG834G serves as a DHCP server, with addresses 192.168.0.2-100

The WGR614 also serves as a DHCP server, with addresses 192.168.1.1-100

I'm pretty sure that the difference between the 0 and 1 in IPs is the problem but I can't seem to change the DHCP server settings on the WGR614 to rectify this.

Am I trying to do the right thing and if so, how? If I'm not, what should I be doing?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Tue 19-Apr-11 21:13:56
Print Post

Re: WGR614v9 as a switch

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

Hi,

Unless you have a specific need to do doing anything different, you'll be trying to create a single LAN so all devices will see each other.

At the moment you have 1 physical network but 2 logical (IP) networks as you have correctly indicated - in 192.168.s.h you have a different 's' so 2 subnets.

Devices getting IP automatically will pick up either DHCP server pretty much random (not whichever is nearest). Decide which DHCP to keep and turn off DHCP on the other. When devices next connect to the network they will pick up IPs in the same (s) range.

If you want certain devices to get the same IP every time look for a section about 'Reservations' or similar in the LAN settings of the router. In DG834G that is LAN Setup > Address Reservation. This is good for the devices which share their files on the network.

Things might not show up in Network or Network Map immediately, it can take time while things to announce themselves and other computers listen and build a list. For Windows networking it's quicker if things are in the same Workgroup name too.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t Max ADSL
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Apr-11 22:46:15
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
Decide which DHCP to keep and turn off DHCP on the other.
The OP will need to keep the DHCP server in the router to connected to the Internet.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 19-Apr-11 22:57:51
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

Hello all,

On tirning off DHCP on the WGR614 and rebooting the PC and/or WGR614 I lose all connections and cannot access either the DG834G or WGR614 by they default logins or via IP log in.

It takes a factory reset of the WGR614 to get me back where I started.

Can I manually configure the WGR614 to 192.168.0.h?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 20-Apr-11 06:41:29
Print Post

Turn off DHCP on the WGR614 and use the LAN connections not the WAN connection on it.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User fiddler
(member) Wed 20-Apr-11 07:45:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's what I'm doing.

Regards,

Rob
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 20-Apr-11 08:03:56
Print Post

In that case, turn off DHCP on the DG834, manually set the WGR614 to 192.168.0.2 and turn on DHCP on the WGR614

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Apr-11 09:44:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Is that all you've missed out a few settings like gateway, dns, subnet mask etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Apr-11 09:46:53
Print Post

A 5 port ethernet switch for around £20 would replace the WGR614 and avoid all your two network issues.

Beyond that people are giving an alternative that should work with all the hardware you have

1. Turn off DHCP on the WGR614
2. Move the internet cable from the WAN port to a LAN port
3. Now any computer connected to the WGR614 should be seeing the DG834G - might need to reboot the computer for this to work properly.

DONT set the WGR614 to use the same IP range as the DG834G that will confuse matters.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Apr-11 12:14:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by fiddler:
Hello all,

In order to improve LAN speeds around the house, I've ditched the Netgear Powerline hardware and had a length of CAT6 with faceplates installed from one end of the house (connected to a DG834G) to the other end (connected to a WGR614).

The problem is that my PC connected to the WGR614 cannot see my Netgear Stora or TimeCapsule connected to the DG834G, making the purpose of the cabling pointless.

The DG834G serves as a DHCP server, with addresses 192.168.0.2-100

The WGR614 also serves as a DHCP server, with addresses 192.168.1.1-100

I'm pretty sure that the difference between the 0 and 1 in IPs is the problem but I can't seem to change the DHCP server settings on the WGR614 to rectify this.

Am I trying to do the right thing and if so, how? If I'm not, what should I be doing?
Hi Rob, A switch does not have a DHCP server.

To change the WGR614 IP address disconnect from the network and connect to your computer then change the WGR614 IP address.

Set up Correct IP Addressing and Subnetting
On home networks and other LANs having a single router or gateway computer, all computers must operate in the same subnet with unique IP addresses. First, ensure the network mask (sometimes called "subnet mask") is set to the same value on all computers. The network mask "255.255.255.0" is normally correct for home networks. Then, ensure each computer possesses a unique IP address. Both the network mask and other IP address settings are found in the TCP/IP network configuration.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/static-ip-addre...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to