Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hirsute
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-11 13:27:34
Print Post

What are these sockets used for?

[link to this post]

Hope this is the right area for this question.

Basically I've moved into a new flat which has some ports I've never seen before in any previous house I've been in.

Ok, so this first picture I assume is just a standard telephone socket (my router is plugged in here)
First Picture

The second image is in a box above the phone socket (I've taken the front cover off). I have no idea what this is for.
Second Picture

The third image shows some sockets which are in every room (some rooms have more than one of these). Looks like an Ethernet socket to me.
Third Picture

Right now, as I only have that one phone socket in a cupboard, that is where the router is kept, and I'm accessing the internet over WiFi.

Would it be possible to connect everything up using wires with these sockets, or have I got the wrong idea with what they are for?

Thanks.
Standard User charles1
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-11 14:07:46
Print Post

Re: What are these sockets used for?

[re: hirsute] [link to this post]

It looks like your flat has a Local Area Network (LAN). Picture 2 is the patch panel, where you connect your router and / or a switch. Picture 3 is a (double) LAN outlet for you to plug devices into.
Should cut down on your visible cabling

---------------------------------------------------------------
O2 Premium
Standard User hirsute
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-11 15:03:54
Print Post

[re: charles1] [link to this post]

I see, that makes sense.

I would've tried plugging it in and seeing what happened, but I only have 1 cat 5e cable.

Thanks for the reply

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RSTSGeek
(member) Sat 23-Apr-11 10:52:07
Print Post

You lucky devil !

As charles1 stated, your flat appears to have it's own built-in LAN.

Now all you have to do if figure out how to configure the patch panel.

That should provide with a few hours of "enjoyment" (or not !).

- Alex
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 10-May-11 08:39:32
Print Post

As the other replies have said, you have a wired LAN in your property - whether it works is another matter, but it should be very straightforward to configure and find out.

The dual sockets are the network modules into which you can plug an RJ45 Cat5 network patch cable and then connect the other end of the cable into a PC's wired network port (also RJ45). The network points are numbered to match the patch panel ports, so assuming your router has more than one RJ45 socket for wired networking, you can connect a PC to say, network module 1, then at the patch panel end, connect port 1 to one of the wired ports on the router. Do the same for each of the wired network connections to a PC, until you run out of PCs and network ports at the router.

Your PC should indicate what type of wired network connection in the network connection status window. If you're using Cat5e patch cables and the network is wired with Cat5e cable, then you'd normally get gigabit ethernet, but given that your router probably has 4 fast ethernet ports, it'll be 100Mbps ethernet, which is still way faster than wireless.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 10-May-11 08:44:18
Print Post

If you're buying more network patch cables, don't buy them from Maplin or PC World as they're very expensive. Instead, buy them from an electrical wholesaler like QVS, TLC or even Screwfix. Work out how long you need your cables to be: the leads from the patch panel to the router may need to be fairly short, whereas longer leads may be needed from the PC to the network points.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to