Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Error
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Apr-11 13:28:06
Print Post

routing to dynamic Ip?

[link to this post]

I have sky LLU as my broadband supplier, who seem to provide a dynamic IP which changes at least as often a the router is reset, perhaps more frequently (today's IP is different to yesterdays and I haven't rebooted the router)

I have some apps on my android phone which I can use to connect to my home PCs while away, but they are reliant upon the IP address remaining constant..is there a simple (and free) way to do this? Some way to direct all traffic to a certain IP to my router regardless of its real IP?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 23-Apr-11 14:02:02
Print Post

Re: routing to dynamic Ip?

[re: Error] [link to this post]

Have a look at http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
Standard User Error
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Apr-11 14:47:44
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

thanks - I knew it was something like that - I was looking at opendns and wondering where the option was laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 24-Apr-11 11:10:10
Print Post

Your router should be able to update your dynamic dns service when the ip address changes.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-May-11 13:06:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

With the Sky router the word "should" may be significant. I've got a sagem Sky router and dyndns only seems to update on a router reboot - considering my connection can happily stay up for more than a month I do get occasional emails from dyndns asking me to update the IP address if I want to keep the free service. Still, only takes a few moments so no big hassle but other routers (ie netgears) I have had did it automatically on a regular basis with or without reboots.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 04-May-11 13:12:20
Print Post

You can often find a dyndns updater on other stuff intended to be always on - cameras, NAS servers, etc.

Alternatively, there's dyndns clients available.

If you don't have any of that, how about using LogMeIn? They have an Android client.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-May-11 19:27:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You could always schedule a task to run every 30 days or so to update the following url using curl
http://username:password@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?hostname=yourhostname

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-11 14:12:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Interesting. Might have to try that if it starts to wind me up sufficiently wink Cheers Batboy.
  Print Thread

Jump to