Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Cruddas
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-11 19:04:34
Print Post

Netgear DG834g port 80 forwarding.

[link to this post]

I have 2 for these routers a version3 that runs the DG team firmware and a version4 that runs the latest Netgear firmware. I have the same problem on both. Unable to port forward port 80. However port 22 and 21 forward OK. Before you ask no my ISP (O2) doesnít block port 80. If I put the server into a DMZ it works fine.
I want to use port forwarding rather than DMZ because it allows me to forward to a single IP address much more secure.
I have Googled other forums for a solution, a number of people have this issue, but most of the advice seems to centre on ISP port blocking.
Any ideas guys?

Regards Cruddas
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 27-Apr-11 20:30:44
Print Post

Re: Netgear DG834g port 80 forwarding.

[re: Cruddas] [link to this post]

It might be better to say what you are trying to achieve. Port 80 is the standard http port. Are you trying to set up a home computer as a web server?
Standard User Cruddas
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-11 21:04:03
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Yep sorry I should have made that clear.

Itís a server that runs Ubuntu Server 10. I use it as a NAS, Web server and also for data base development PHP and MySQL. I need to forward port 80 (HTTP) so I can get into it from work.
As I said port 21( FTP) and 22(SSH) work fine.

Cruddas

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 27-Apr-11 21:46:46
Print Post

My v3 doesn't allow port 80 to be forwarded (as far as I can tell after a quick look).

I suppose you could forward another port (8080 seems possible) and get Apache to listen to that rather than port 80. Inconvenient, but if it's only for your access at least it will work.
Standard User Cruddas
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-11 22:12:22
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Thanks John,
Ill try that tomorrow. I think it may be something to do with the router GUI being on port 80. I canít find any mention of this issue in the Netgear manual and port 80 is given as a preset in the port forwarding section so I expected it to work.

Cruddas
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Wed 27-Apr-11 22:12:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Cruddas:
I have 2 for these routers a version3 that runs the DG team firmware and a version4 that runs the latest Netgear firmware. I have the same problem on both. Unable to port forward port 80. However port 22 and 21 forward OK. Before you ask no my ISP (O2) doesnít block port 80. If I put the server into a DMZ it works fine.
I want to use port forwarding rather than DMZ because it allows me to forward to a single IP address much more secure.
I have Googled other forums for a solution, a number of people have this issue, but most of the advice seems to centre on ISP port blocking.
Any ideas guys?

Regards Cruddas

I dont know if you've had much experience port forwarding, but a little confused that you can set port 21,22 but not 80. I will assume you know your way around the router already so wont go to in depth, but do it in this order.

In the services menu, create a new service called BOB and put 80 in both boxes as the port range. I never remember which one to use, either UDP or TCP, so usually select the option of BOTH and save it.

Now go to firewall rules menu, and create a new rule. Select BOB from the drop down menu on the right side. On the next part down, you need to enter a IP address.
I'm going to choose 192.168.0.20 and save it.

Now go to your server and give it the static IP address 192.168.0.20.

Thats the method I use when I host gaming sessions.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Apr-11 17:41:44
Print Post

Where routers allow remote access to their port 80 interface, then disabling this usually lets you forward port 80.

Also remember you need a computer on an external network to test that the port forwarding is working.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-11 16:34:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Also remember you need a computer on an external network to test that the port forwarding is working.
Or a router which will handle NAT loopback. smile

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User Cruddas
(newbie) Fri 29-Apr-11 19:27:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Where routers allow remote access to their port 80 interface, then disabling this usually lets you forward port 80.

Hi Guys

Yep, needing a computer on an external network is a problem so I go into work to use a computer there. It works fine from inside my network using my public IP.

Well I did as John suggested and reconfigured Apache to listen on port 81. Still no joy. I now think that this may apply to any HTTP traffic and not just HTTP on port 80. A test with the Shields up site confirms that the port is open. As I have said before it works fine if I put the server in a DMZ.

As Andrew suggests turning off the rooters GUI will be the next step I am at work at the moment so will try it over the weekend however I donít remember seeing that option it the router menu.

Thanks for your feedback
Cruddas
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 29-Apr-11 20:22:40
Print Post

I just added a service httpx with tcp port 81 to my DG834Gv3. In firewall rules inbound services I sent httpx traffic to my laptop and enabled logging.

In Apache on my Debian distribution there appear to be 3 lines to be altered in 2 files to change to port 81.

In /etc/apache2/ports.conf
NameVirtualHost *:81
Listen 81

In /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default
<VirtualHost *:81>

Then restarting Apache

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Using the url

http://94.193.xxx.xxx:81

I could then access my local web server from daveproxy.co.uk and the traffic was shown as incoming in the Netgear's log.
  Print Thread

Jump to