Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 15-May-11 02:50:40
Print Post

Ping response times

[link to this post]

What would be considered good ping response times between devices on a wired LAN?

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-May-11 03:46:49
Print Post

Re: Ping response times

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

0.1ms
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 15-May-11 04:05:57
Print Post

PC to router - 1ms or less. Generally, unless you're talking a very long line and/or a lot of hops within the network, they should be very low.

Ping times rise with latency (line length, quality, hops, and number of people using the line). If you have four PCs all using the line from a router to the Internet all at the same time, latency will rise, but that's more an external thing as generally the internal network is far superior to the broadband speeds available. Most internal networks are good for at least 10 Meg and probably between 50 and 100 Meg (bits) depending on the ethernet node quality, cable quality etc. Gigabit kit is good up to 1000 Meg in theory.

One other thing. Some software programs or processes can cause latency on a network, but I would expect the software to be knowingly in use, such as downloading or gaming. Best to not run anything when testing latency.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 15-May-11 10:48:07
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

PC to router and other devices on the wired LAN are less than 1ms but occasionally 1ms, which tallies with what you said.
Between wireless PCs and router is between 4ms and 8ms, which I reckons seems okay given the performance of 802.11g?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 15-May-11 12:02:24
Print Post

From a laptop wireless to router then fixed to a desktop I get typical pings of less than 1.5 ms on g.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 16-May-11 10:56:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by joconnell:
PC to router and other devices on the wired LAN are less than 1ms but occasionally 1ms, which tallies with what you said.
Between wireless PCs and router is between 4ms and 8ms, which I reckons seems okay given the performance of 802.11g?

That's fine.
  Print Thread

Jump to