Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 19-May-11 15:46:30
Print Post

Network speed test with Ixia QCheck

[link to this post]

I'm using Ixia QCheck to test my network speed between 2 WinXP PCs, but with QCheck installed on both systems, all tests fail. I can ping, traceroute and share files and remote desktop between both PCs but QCheck just fails - I've read all the instructions I can find on the web but to no avail.

Has anyone successfully used QCheck to test their LAN? Otherwise, can anyone recommend a LAN speed test utility?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Thu 19-May-11 16:09:11
Print Post

Re: Network speed test with Ixia QCheck

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

I've used it yeah, works fine for me. Any firewalls in the mix? as that would stop it working
Standard User noinchki
(member) Thu 19-May-11 16:39:41
Print Post

I've not used Ixia Qcheck, but have used Microsofts own Richcopy for file transfers which also reports the transfer speeds

You can try it here:Richcopy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Fri 20-May-11 19:38:27
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

I got it working briefly but when running from the slower machine with the endpoint at the faster machine, I get 88Mbps on my wired gigabit network, but running on the faster machine with the slower machine as endpoint I get 200Mbps

Something isn't right - I'm assuming that if I disable the firewalls at either end then it should work?

Just wondering if the firewalls are getting in the way of the test

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by joconnell (Fri 20-May-11 19:43:33)

Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Fri 20-May-11 21:02:43
Print Post

Oh the firewalls will certainly get in the way, even if they don't block the packets I'm sure they will be a bottle neck as they will be processing every packet in software, software firewalls on PC's aren't design to switch packets so quickly
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Fri 20-May-11 21:16:24
Print Post

I'll disable the firewalls and rerun the test. I could always use Richcopy as suggested in this thread (thanks for the tip) and see how fast the files are copied, which might be a more meaningful test.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sat 21-May-11 22:18:31
Print Post

Another thought I've had for testing: why not install my PCI gigabit network card into the same PC from which I'm running the tests, and then run the test between the IP address of the NIC that's on my mobo and the PCI NIC?

I think there might be an issue testing between my new-ish PC and a PC that's 10 years old, which might explain the abysmal throughput of 220Mbps on my gigabit LAN

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by joconnell (Sat 21-May-11 23:21:02)

Print Thread

Jump to