Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chrisdevlin
(newbie) Sun 22-May-11 01:16:02
Print Post

WiFi N or Gigabit Ethernet?

[link to this post]

i don't really know much about this type of this but I'll try and make sense smile

Tomorrow we're getting BT Infinity installed, and the engineer can place the home hub upstairs if we wish. I live in a standard 3-bed semi and currently the master socket is in the front downstairs room, and the main computer is the back upstairs room.

I want to make sure I can get the full speed of BT Infinity to my PC, so would I be better off using WiFi N (easier) or Gigabit Ethernet? Also, would I be better off placing the Home Hub on the landing, or keep it where it is in the front downstairs room where it would be closer to the laptops?

Thanks
Standard User chris6273
(member) Sun 22-May-11 01:43:37
Print Post

Re: WiFi N or Gigabit Ethernet?

[re: chrisdevlin] [link to this post]

I would go for the WiFi N option and have your Modem (and homehub unless you want trailing wires around your house) placed at the master socket to achieve the best results. There would be no point in getting Gigabit Ethernet if there is a chance your extension wiring around your house is degraded, which is a big disadvantage to VDSL (FTTC) smile

Have you ever considered getting 'Homeplugs' if you don't want cables trailing around your house?

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=hom...

They basically use the existing power cables in your walls.etc for Ethernet wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------
6851kbps Throughput:
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Max(Kbps): 11616 1056

Edited by chris6273 (Sun 22-May-11 01:44:59)

Standard User chrisdevlin
(newbie) Sun 22-May-11 01:58:55
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

I've thought about homeplugs but for the speed I'd Ned they're a bit pricey. I currently don't have any Ethernet cables in my house so they would all be brand new so would they be better, if I don't care about wiring? Do you reckon the BT engineer would be willing to fit the Ethernet cable from the home hub to the PC? Even for a small fee because I really cba to do the trailing. tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmoorc
(member) Sun 22-May-11 11:07:02
Print Post

Depending on how close to the cabinet you are you may be fine having the modem situated upstairs on an extension next to your PC if you don't need to claw back every snr db.

Giga ethernet is always going to be far superior to wireless for speed/reliability (Must be Cat 5e or 6 cable)

Re the homeplugs I get around 30 to 35 Mbps throughput on my Devolo 200's, maybe not enough if you sync at full speed.
The new 500's have just been released which seem to be capable of around 90Mbps according to some reviews I have seen of the Netgear ones.

Be aware if you are a paranoid gamer that they add 2 to 3 ms to your ping smile
Standard User vanisa71
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 13:33:51
Print Post

Re: WiFi N or Gigabit Ethernet? *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
  Print Thread

Jump to